Moved to the US from Europe, career advice?

Hi guys,

I recently moved to the US from the Netherlands. I have about 9-10 years experience in banking (5 years Investment Advisor, about 3 years Financial Analyst and before that some random stuff) and I have a Bachelor in Business from a non-prestigious school. I mostly like the investment world and for a while now have been thinking of moving to an investment analyst role and eventually work my way up to portfolio manager or something comparable. So I’m now preparing for the CFA Level I.

So I quit my job in Europe and moved to the US (Denver) for personal reasons. I’ve started applying for jobs. What do you think is wise in terms of looking for jobs? I realize that I need to be networking (which I’ve started doing), as just applying to a job posting means I’m competing with 100 other people, which really lowers the odds of me getting a job. But do you think I should first look for any job within the financial sector and from there try to network my way into a job at an investment firm? Or try for the investment firm right away?

Appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks!

move back

^1 just kidding…try to join the local society in denver

What’s your visa status? U.S. citizen? Green Card holder?

I have full work rights for any US Company. Don’t have my Green Card yet (probably Oct/Nov), but I do have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) which gives me full work rights for 12 months. Will definitely have my Green Card before my EAD expires.

I have already applied for a bunch of jobs, had one phone interview for a mutual fund analyst position, but they picked a candidate with more relevant experience. Of all the other jobs I applied for, so far no call backs. Been mostly applying to financial analyst positions and a few investment/research analyst positions.

I think the main problem in Denver is that the financial sector is quite small, approx. 10% of the local job market. So I believe that there is a lot of fierce competition. And also, it’s just hard to stand out from 100 other applicants with just a piece of paper. I’m confident that I could make a good impression with some face time, but I’m not really sure yet how to get my foot in the door. I have decided to take a more active approach and also start following up with those companies by phone. Hopefully that won’t backfire.

And yeah, I will start looking for societies or networking groups to join, or networking events to go to and just put myself out there. That’s the only that sucked about moving to Denver, know 0 people and have to start from scratch. Otherwise I really like it here :slight_smile:

So are the drugs better here or there?

Take a plane to Amsterdam and you tell me :slight_smile:

There’s probably not that many here from Denver that can speak too well about the market inthat region

i remember someone was saying that a lot of back office goldman stuff is in denver???

Janus and Westcore

Thanks, heard about Janus and from a quick search I’ve also heard about Westcore (= Denver Investments). And they’re definitely on my list of shops I’d want to get into.

i dont have any background in US nor Europe, but my advise to you is to keep all you chances open by applying in US and as well in Europe so you wont stay empty handed with no experience and fill your resume with a job that can boost you up in the future or unless you have some part job time that can fill your resume.

Thanks for the advice. I however am already living in Denver, so there is no point for me in applying for work in Europe, since the plan is to settle in the US (and for now Denver) for personal reasons. And I have almost 10 years of work experience. Just have to get my foot in the door, somewhere, and continue from there (it’s always easier to get hired when you already have a job, paradoxically).

I’m really curious how your story will end.

I moved to Canada 2 years ago (just for 3 yrs not permanently) from Central-Europe with 18 years corporate banking experience at global/regional banks, and the interviewers never even looked on the first page of my resume, they flipped it over to the education section and declared with sad expression: “If no financial or accounting designation, then no jobs other than mopping floors.”

Maybe it’s different in the US

^ I have a hard time believing that. Canada, just like the States (and unlike Europe), value experience more than education.

Lots of energy finance (and related stuff) to do in Denver.

she looks old. probably too wild in younger years

yo fewl. i know denver. you were kinda vague about the kinda job you’re looking for doe, but mentioned you worked previously as a “financial analyst” (corp fin? er? etc…) and a financial advisor. what are your tryna do now?

EDIT: saw you said investment analyst

gonna be hard… janus, westcore, cambiar, 361 capital, couple other small HFs on the buyside (all prolly gonna want direct exp). Wells Fargo, Macq, BMO, RBC, S&P CapIQ, (maybe Stifel, KeyBanc & CIBC too, i forget) all have SS ER shops; however, all pretty much exclusively O&G E&P or MLP related and real difficult to get in w/o O&G exp i’ve heard. real compettive for ER.

outisde of ER type jobs. big scene in MM Pub Fin actually (piper, DA davidson, stifel). heard some wild stories about the bond trading scene on 17th St (during the 80’s & 90’s) when i was out there, and decent private banking scene (JPM & MS both have large shops) and tons of investment advisory shops (PWM) too many to list.

i’ve heard that schwab is building a HUGE campus out there and moving significant parts of their SF operations to Denver. could be some good opportunities there although i’d imagine a it’ll be lots of sales type jobs