2015 CFA Level III or Make Push into Desired Role

Hi all–I’m currently at a crossroads and I was hoping you could help weigh in… My ultimate goal is to become an equity research associate. However, what always dings me is my lack of financial modelling experience. In trying to figure out how to boost my appeal, I came across a very insightful article by Jason Voss, CFA:

http://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2013/09/12/advice-on-how-to-become-a-research-analyst/ Essentially, he recommends creating a website where you post your research reports, financial models, CV, market commentary, etc. That way, even if you lack formal job experience, you can present these “tangible” examples of your abilities. But obviously, that’s a time-consuming endeavor and just around the corner is (yup, you guessed it) another CFA exam! Specifically for me, that would be the 2015 level III exam. So I’m stuck between two paths: 1. Skip this year’s exam and push hard to develop this website of “tangible” experience and push really hard to land an equity research role. I should note that I’ve been in contact with my firm’s internal recruiters who have relayed a preference for internal candidates and that with demonstrable modeling skills, my chances would be quite good.

2. Sit for this year’s exam and delay my transition efforts until after level III. It’s a very difficult cost-benefit analysis but I’m interested to hear what you all think. Thanks!

A reasonable shot at a good job opportunity >>> passing CFA tests

It would appear you have a job now, probably doesn’t require extended hours right? 2015 exam is a long way away, you should have time to do both