Duty to employer

I just started a new job two weeks ago, and received an offer from another firm today. I might be getting a third tomorrow as well. I committed to the interviews just hours before I got (and accepted) the first offer where I am at now.

i am so neurotic and feel immensely guilty over the whole thing. The offer from today and the one I anticipate tomorrow both require me to move across the country (exciting but daunting, and expensive). However the pay will be significantly higher. I am happy with the current firm, though some of my tasks are mind numbingly boring and time consuming. That’s fine. I don’t expect a rock star job with <1 year exp.

What am I supposed to do? I would feel terrible if I drop this opportunity when they pushed so much on my behalf to the management. But I also want the best for me, long term, career wise. I’m also afraid of leaving my home of ten years, but I like to think that’s negligible.

Like I said Im neurotic. Please advise.

I would just do whatever I thought was best. If I thought the 2nd or 3rd job would provide better pay and/or career growth, you gotta take it. It’s unfortunate to leave after 2 weeks, but it’s a business and sometimes the decisions are tough but you have to go with the best overall choice. The people at the 1st job will probably understand and can’t blame you if it’s truly a great new opportunity

Is the pay higher on a cost of living adjusted basis? That’s the real question.

This is the type of question that people ask when they are right out of school. In reality, this is a very simple decision: take whatever offer is best for you and don’t think twice about it. The only reason that wouldn’t be true is if you have a family or personal situation that requires you to be in your current location, OR you have a contractual obligation to stay. Otherwise you can just think of it as market forces correcting an inefficiency such that you are now being valued properly. Don’t downplay that, you will be undervalued for most of your career if you work for other people, that’s just the way it is.

The only other thing to add is go for the offer you really want and don’t play games. They might try to counter with more compensation at your current job but they could easily hold that against you later. Probably better to just make a clean break and never look back if you are going to leave, and then leave this job off your resume.

As long as you aren’t breaking the law, there’s no reason to feel guilty about doing what is best for yourself. You can assume that everyone else in this business will do what is best for themselves.

^^^^ exactly

Do what’s best for you.

I quit a new job after 2 months, halfway into running a project for them. Do what you can to leave on as good terms as possible, finish off whatever you were working on or leave it in a reasonable state for someone else to pick up and finish.

I know a chick who once quit her job after the first day when she decided she didnt like what she was doing. This after going through like 3 rounds of interviews over 2 months.

how are the firms comparable in reputation?

+100

Take the job that you feel is a best fit with your longer term career goals. You committed to other interviews prior to receiving an acceptance to the job offer where you are at now. I’m sure you wouldn’t feel guilty if you didn’t get that first offer. It’s natural to feel the way you do but I think that you need to look out for yourself first.

I think you made the right decision taking the first offer since you were only interviewing for other roles at the time.

And congratulations.

Echoing what others have said, you have to take the other job if you feel it’s best for you. If you’re thinking the grass is greener after 2 weeks, you’ll be extremely frustrated 12 months or 2 years from now if you decide to stay. If the other offer(s) are more appealing, just tell your current employer that a position that you were interviewing for concurrently has come available, and while you do appreciate everything they’ve done for you, the other position is more aligned with your personal goals. Perhaps the current employer isn’t thrilled with this, but a rational employer would realize that if you were uncertain after 2 weeks, you probably weren’t the ideal candidate for the long haul. To paraphrase Bromion, you’ve got your whole career to be undervalued. Might as well see what being apporpriately valued feels like.

Appear for both the interviews. If selected don’t commit for joining next day, ask for a few days. Prepare a SWOT (Strength-Oppertunity-Weakness and Threats) analysis taking into both long term as well as short term perspectives. Whichever scores more, go for it. If it is one of the other two say Good Bye to the current job as politely as you can. Never burn the bridges at this juncture of you career, you never know what surprises future may bring for you. It is only you who knows all the parameters for measuring consequences of leaving or remainng in the job, others can only suggest what they feel better from their own perspective. Listen to all advices but finally take your own decision based on your judgement. Best wishes

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/water-cooler/91324182

I feel I made the right choice.

Thanks for your inputs. Just received the second (third?) offer as well. The two offers have equal pay (I think).

I said moving across country is a neglibile factor, but I lied. It’s the main thing that’s preventing me from accepting these offers.

And to make matters worse, I just found a new opportunity that may or may not play out. One guy I interviewed with referred me to his contact that was looking for an entry level at his firm. I just started the interview process, but if that works out I have no hesitation making a choice.

Where I stand now, I’m not exactly sure what the long-term benefits of these three positions are (I’m concerned with mainly exit opportunities). I’m young, no commitments, and have relatively inexpensive tastes so while a high salary is nice I am not demanding so much and would much rather have a job that I enjoy in an environment I feel comfortable in… but of course that’s hard to tell from the outside.

These are good problems to have, but it’s giving me a stomachache nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don’t think there’s anything shady going on here at this firm, and they have been nothing but kind to me. Even from a non-personal perspective, I feel guilty for making them waste their efforts in my training etc. and walk out after less than a month.

Hey, it didn’t work out. No shame in leaving, as long as you don’t make a habit of it. I may be leaving for greener pastures after 6 months. Do I feel bad? A bit. But that’s life. No one is looking out for you in business, other than you. And this is business, not friendship. Make a business decision and move on.

Hi emichan,

First, congrats on getting those offers !

Second, speaking from my experience after abt several years in the labor market I would say your current employer would not care about your leaving (in case you decide to do it) given the fact that you are at entry-level and just started 2 weeks ago. If they are good and reputed enough, there’s a bunch of candidates lining up to fill your position. There’s no point feeling guilty about doing what is best for yourself.

Last, it’s better to regret something you did than regret not doing it.

Good luck ! :slight_smile:

A wiseman once said if someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you’re not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later.

Looks like your trip was definitely worth it. What are your reservations with moving? You’re young with no committments, now’s the best time to explore opportunities, move around and learn. I’m totally biased though, i’m the sort of person that would move country at the drop of a hat.

Yup thanks guys, totally paid off. I’m nervous about moving because every time I’ve moved the last ten years I’m always back in Seattle. I love it here.

Here’s my trilemma though- I’m at a fund now, doing slave labor entry level work which I’m happy to do. I’m glad to get my foot in the door.

Offer A is from a bank, institutional lending, compliance/planning analyst.

Offer B is a prop trading assistant position, likely able to move into something non assistant as soon as I get all licenses.

A friend of my father, a trader himself in Tokyo, says why would I move to the sell side when I already have a job at a fund. Fair enough.

Another guy, charterholder here, says go to New York become a trader and make gazillions and retire early.

My father says go work at the bank-maybe that will get me on a good career track.

I just want to get married and have babies (okay NO that was a joke),

I’m getting so many conflicting advices here. Let’s hear yours so I can tally them all up.

Let’s see some dollar figures, bro.