Breaking into Finance

As the title suggests, I’m interested in breaking into finance. I’m 28, have a bachelor of commerce with what I like to call a finance major. Master of Business - Risk Management and a CAPM - a project management certification. I have two years work experience as a project coordinator. Prior to my current job I tried FX trading from home and then tried to start my own business related to aeroplanes which as you might have guessed hasn’t yet brought me enough money to live off nor did FX trading. Between FX trading and aircraft, I feel like I’ve wasted many years, but at the same time have realised that my career isn’t where I thought it was going to be by now. Now I’m starting to feel the need to build a career and I’m not sure how to do it. I think grad positions are out of the question now given how many years have gone by from completing my university studies and even then, my results were never good enough for me to be a candidate for those positions, so I was never a stellar student. The question now is, what is my next step?

1.) Any suggestions in regards to networking?

2.) Is a top tier IB out of the question for me? Nice dream but the question is do I have what it takes? For me it’s at this stage at least more of a curiosity thing given how little I’ve been given in the way of doors opening in that direction. Feels like the great wall of China at the moment.

3.) What is most obviously wrong with my story?

4.) Any other suggestions?

Time for a bump and a request to move this into the careers forum.

a top MBA is your best bet.

2 years project coordinator and masters in risk mgmt puts you out of the running for top tier entry level IB jobs that you mentioned

Agreed. If you don’t go the MBA route, top tier IB is definitely out of the question. Even a CFA can’t help you there.