I'm back! Finally got a job and have a question

Hi guys, I am finally back from my little break from AF. I wanted to focus on my job search and MBA program and AF was just distracting me and feeding me negative thoughts.

My background, if you dont remember, is a final-semester hacksaw MBA (straight out of undergrad) and a double major finance/eco at a hacksaw undergrad with a good, relevant internship and good, relevant part-time job on my resume.

Ended up with four offers- Two Big Four (both advisory) a rotational accounting/finance (corporate position at large $75 billion market cap company) and then a middle management spot at a mom and pop place (did not consider this one)

Ended up taking the corporate job. My interests lie in corporate finance and hopefully eventually FP&A and then moving up to the executive level. The corporate job was also 34% higher salary than the Big Four with fewer hours, better benefits, and more likable people. Im sure some of you will say I am an idiot for turning down Big Four.

Anyway, my question is, what’s next? In order to move into FP&A or pure senior corporate finance roles, what should I do? I will already have the MBA

Should I go the CFA route?

Pursue a CPA?

CMA?

FP&A certification?

Or just put my nose to the grindstone and drink the company kool-aid?

Some combo of the above?

What would you do? I dont feel like a hacksaw mba with a hacksaw undergrad is really enough and that I need to do more to differentiate myself. Thanks for the input

agreed

$25,000 fewer dollars for 20 more hours a week is a tough pill to swallow.

^ Local moron makes good.

Well done!

^ is this sarcasm or are you serious?

^ Dead serious. Congratulations!

so after you got the hooker naked, did you text your friends to ask what to do?

Thanks, man. Hard to tell with how everyone rails on me on here all the time.

Isnt this the whole point of this message board?

Basically, yes.

So I hear good things about the import/export of latex and chips.

you’re making around 100k with only pt work experience?

are you sure you went to hacksaw?

Dont forget matches and diapers

That’s all-in total compensation including relocation and bonus, but yes, it was a really great opportunity. I feel very fortunate.

as long as you put your nose to the grindstone and drink the company kool aid 8-5 you can pretty much go cruise control for 20 years and end up in a pretty good spot - that’s what corp finance is all about. CPA helps most with FP&A roles especially if you aspire to be a CFO. as far as the CFA I can’t speak for L2 yet but I found L1 to help immensely in my FP&A role

Thank you. What would you say is the percentage breakdown of designations within your FP&A department?

my firm will not be representative as we have a small dept but 75% CPA’s

CPA is all you need. Up here, the CFA designation does carry weight in FP&A and will make you unique. But if you want to be a CFO, you’ll pretty much require CPA.

Thanks. So is it fair to say CPA/CFA would be deadly in the role? Any value to CMA or FP&A certification?

Who is this jabroni van delay? Is this quant jock reincarnated?