Operations to Private Bank to ??

Hi everyone,

Been coming here for a while, never posted before. Seeking some thoughts on a potential career move. I currently work in operations at a BB and am looking to eventually be in asset management. I know I know, another one of those back office to front office posts. I searched and read through fifteen pages of topics and am still looking for some more insight. I’m 23 and studied finance at a state school (hacksaw). Level 3 candidate. I know the only way I can make this happen is by networking, so that’s what I’ve done over the past few months and will continue to do so. Not too sure on the exact role I’d like, but I’ve met with a lot of relationship managers/salespeople on the institutional side and that seems pretty interesting to me but I wouldn’t be opposed to being more on the PM side either. I would like to be able to talk broadly about multiple asset classes and the overall portfolio construction process/asset allocation (as opposed to being an expert on a short list of companies - so I don’t think research is for me). I have also met with some folks in the private bank, both bankers and investors. I’ve recently been asked by the analyst manager for a private bank (who is an investor) about a potential opening. It’d be for the banker role, with the potential to move onto the investment desk after a year (which I would want to do).

Is making a switch to the private bank a step in the right direction from where I am now to where I want to be (asset management)? The longer I stay in my current role the harder it’s going to be to get out.

Thanks!

It looks like you definitely did your homework, and that’s really good. you even speak the AF lingo with terms like hacksaw… well done.

I would say yes the private bank role is definitely better then your operations role

Go to the private bank. Going from ops to an (associate?) banker role is not that easy, so you should jump at the chance. You are closer to the money and it truly sounds like you want a sales job from what you are saying. Great pay and shallow (comparatively) knowledge on a wide range of topics. As long as you don’t mind travel, what’s not to like?

ha ha, I was amazed too that someone with only 2 posts used hacksaw. I say private bank is a good direction as well

1 post

thanks for the insight guys, time to start preparing for the interview!