Being a lecturer at a hacksaw university

Have this opportunity. One finance class for a semester. Would this look good on a resume or does it carry zero weight? On one hand it seems like it would kind of make you seem knowledgable, but on the other, it’s an ultimate hacksaw school and many people loathe academic types

Why the fuck are you asking us? You’re the expert who says you just show up to teach and leave.

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/careers/91336441

…might need some skin grafts after that burn.

dude youre not in high school anymore. none of that sh*t matter if you are only doing to bolster your resume.

this is the professional world not college admitance comittee

because, I’m not asking about how much time it takes or the work involved. I’m familiar with that. I’m asking about is it respected by peers and superiors

then why did you pursue the CFA charter?

because it sounded interesting and wanted to learn more. still have not updated my resume since i passed.

If the shoe fits…

I almost stuck around after grad school to teach principles of micro/macro classes but didn’t b/c (i) pay was a lot better in private sector and (ii) I was afraid of being stigmatized as an academic. I think teaching classes helps you grow as a person when you’re in your early to mid 20’s, but I don’t think it does anything significant to make you more marketable to the private sector. It’s obviously better than having an employment gap on your resume, but the job market in the U.S. financial sector hasn’t been any more healthy than it is now in the last seven or so years. Go out and get it.

Money aside, I’m glad I went to the private sector. Experience doing real work (not theorizing about IS/LM curves) is hard to beat.

^ mine would be in addition to my regular job. Just as a supplementary part time thing. I’m definitely a private sector guy all the way and in no way wanting to become an academic. Im just trying to seize every opportunity if I conclude it may benefit my overall personal package and add value.

^“I’m just trying to seize every opportunity if I conclude it may beneit my overall personal package and add value”…

I think i just puked a bit.

+1

Teaching 6th graders a personal finance course through your local community service organization doesnt count as a lecturer.

You could add value by tutoring math at disadvantaged school districts.

Wait how do you have time to teach if you have a job+CFA exams? I barely have time to myself (sleep, cook, clean)

Unless I’m looking to hire a quant who was currently a professor of computational chemistry, an adjunct professor role on a resume has zero to negative value for me. It shows that the person is not entirely focused on their career and is doing something that requires significant time commitment outside of their job.

What do you want to do with your life? If it’s picking stocks for an asset manager, then I’m not sure how teaching will help you develop that skill set. If it’s seeing clients and having to be a good talker, then I think it could help develop your communication skills.

I agree with the others re: resume building. No need to do something you hate at this stage in life. If you want to teach, do it. But I can’t imagine it is going to directly boost your career in any significant way.

How does it require significant time outside of the job? It’s <10 hours a week all-in total. No different than someone having a hobby outside of work.

You don’t know if he’s gunning for an MBA admission or a promotion to management someday where he can leverage his teaching experience and demonstrated communication skills. I think he asked a legit question.

This was my first reaction when I read OP. You’ll need 10-20 hours a week to drive to the school, teach, grade homework, prepared exams, prepare powerpoint slides (if you’re gonna do it, do it right).

I’d rather see a job applicant with a CFA than some bullshit teaching experience at a bullshit school. At least the CFA is standardized. If you only have enough time to do one (and I’m guessing you do because you didn’t mark down that you passed L1), the CFA is the way to go.

Seriously though, the level of disrespect you have towards this potential job is appalling. You’re the sort of professor that would get awful reviews on ratemyprofessor…at a low-level school. Does that make sense? You would waste everyone’s time. Do you have a passion to teach? Make a difference in students’ world view? Share your past experience and failures so that your students won’t repeat them? I’m not saying you should do a job for altruistic reasons, but you’re considering this with such a snooty attitude it’s disgusting. If you seriously believe that teaching would take <10hrs/week, please just find a hobby and go golf or something.

Fyi- I used to tutor hs/college students (Japanese) and while it’s a different method (one-on-one vs lecture) it was a lot of work. Esp if students are not engaged, which is unfortunately mostly the case. But if you had even one student that wanted to succeed and she realized that her professor is some bum that is only teaching to boost his resume (with questionable effect) and is convinced that it’s basically a hobby requiring minimal effort and probably with not much relevant experience…? Man I would do everything to make sure that either I am a. out of his class, b. no one would take his class in future and c. he won’t come back to teach.

*emichan drops the mic and walks off the stage