2-page resume ever acceptable? (for positions that require 2-5 years experience)

If there’s a job posting for a senior FP&A analyst, is it ever recommended or even acceptable to have a 2 page resume?

Since I’m a career switcher, it is impossible for me to cram the following into 1 page:

1. my corporate FP&A experience

A) job responsibilities that are similar between my current job and new job

B) Multi-phase projects I had a big hand in

1. the 3 jobs in my previous career that is in the same industry as the target company

2. My relevant education and certifications (again, related to the target company’s industry)

Will that be seen as long-winded or arrogant to submit a 2-pager for a job intended for 26 year olds that have a Bachelors degree and entry-level FPA experience at 1 or 2 companies at most?

I’d love to hold a utopian view that HR is going to look at it and be like “wow, he has 4 experiences we’d find valuable” but I’m concerned they have about 7-10 seconds to make a snap decision if they want to call me or not.

no, under 5 years of experience, definitely keep to 1 page.

you can leave off your graduation year and cut off your first 1 or 2 jobs after college to make space

No, it’s not acceptable. People with 8-10 years of experience and career changes can fit it into one page, so five years or fewer should easily fit onto one page if done properly.

Serious question, if I have 8 years of work experience since college, 5 of it being not relevant, can I leave off my graduation date and just keep the relevent experience on linkedin, my cover letter and resume? Judging from your posts on here, you seemed to have hired many before, would you feel slighted if you later found out I was 5 years older than I appear? Or is that common and best practice?

I think resume should not be more than 1 page.

Of course you can do that.

keep in mind though if you have any FINRA licenses, your formal record for 10 years back is all public record so you can’t really hide that.

I will try that and see if my response rates increase, thanks.

I Have never seen a resume without a graduation date on it

I would not leave any jobs or graduation dates off the resume. For the former, it’s an automatic ding once I find out you’re hiding anything. For the latter, I wouldn’t bother to even contact the candidate since one of the key data points I look at in the 30 seconds that I spend reviewing a resume is graduation dates.

^ for a junior role, I would agree it’s weird if a graduation date was missing. But he has 3 years of experience and I’m guessing he’s going for a role where that 3 years is noted as worthy experience. If we’re talking about an experienced hire, that matters far more then the fact that you may have 4 years of irrelevant experience.

I’ve seen 30 year olds hired as entry level assoc in equity research for example.

Now that you mention it, my old boss didn’t have have his graduation date on his resume. I’m looking to make a similar switch and along with sharpening my skills so I can pitch what kind of value I can bring, I’m looking to minimize any objections, especially ones that aren’t even relevant to the discussion.

I’ll give it a shot and let ya’ll know the results over the next few months. Focused on GMAT now so I can have a clear picture of all my options.

It doesnt matter if the 4 years if jobs were irrelevant or not. It is very relevant to me if someone was job hopping during that time, or was fired from one or more jobs, or has multi month gaps in between jobs, etc. Even if theyre not relevant, they need to at least be listed on the resume to demonstrate the person’s employability, or lack thereof.

If someone is too lazy to read a second page of my CV I wouldn’t want to work there.

With that said, keep your resume as relevant as possible. You really don’t need 8 sections talking about your skills but you should AT LEAST list the prior jobs you’ve had; just don’t provide much of a description as they won’t ask about it anyways.

You put your high school jobs on your resume? Hell, I’ve been working since I was 13. I’d have a book by now if I did that.

List all jobs just keep the irrelevant ones to one line

I’ve been struggling with whether to keep my personal training experience and tutoring experience from college. Both are somewhat relevant, but not really real career type jobs

yea i like that one line idea. might juss do that.

Should we list our monthly municipal bond income on our personal portfolio, or is that more of a conversation piece when an interview is opened up to questions?

laugh

Upper five figures or hacksaw. If you arent rolling in a >$5M muni portfolio by 30, you’re career is a disaster and you’re only qualified as the garbage man.