Apply for job again at company that rejected me?

I got to the second interview with this money manager to be an investment analyst. I wasn’t expecting the kind of questoins I got and I knew I wasn’t very impressive. In the process, I was moving to another state and was put in a situation where I took a corp fin job as a cost analyst (absolutely nothing to do with investments!). Is it pointless to apply again to this position after having “left” the investment industry for 6 months? I do have 4 years of financial services experience including fund research which was my job right before taking the corp fin job. Also, what does a manager think when they see my resume having such a short tenure at my new job and the fact that it’s not related? Will they look beyond it to my previous experience or just write me off? Thanks.

You are over thinking this. In my opinion you have nothing to lose other than the time it takes to apply. They might throw your application in the trash, or view you as a persistent person that is deserving of another opportunity.

You have nothing to lose but your chances are bleak as you’ve been denied once. You should enlist my help next time you get an interview so as to potentially avoid these depressing outcomes.

They will NOT view you as a “persistent person that is deserving of another opportunity”. That’s a total joke and wishful thinking similar to dreaming about winning the lottery.

yea you have nothing to lose except taking the time to apply

i fax my resume to itera at least once a week, still no response broken heart

Go for it.

The company I currently work for, I applied when I was coming out of school and got denied with the form email from HR without even an interview. About 2.5 years later, I applied again for a nearly identical position, interviewed immediately, and had an offer in only a couple weeks. YMMV.

He didn’t say anything about feedback from the interviewer or the outcome. Maybe he never even got rejected. I’ve interviewed for jobs where nobody ended up getting hired, or the job went to the CEO’s nephew. The point is just because he thought he did poorly doesn’t mean that he’s blacklisted.

I understand some people need a reality check, but your attitude that everyone is destined for failure is tiring. Not everyone is as sad and pessimistic as you, including some very successful people. I’m worried that you’re seriously depressed and are going to swallow a shotgun or something one day.

1. No one said anything about being blacklisted, you’re trying to turn around what i’m saying to make a point.

2. OP left the investment industry not long ago, said so himself

3. OP was in a FoF role for 4 years, which is very different from being in asset management and actually picking the stocks yourself. His odds of success were not high to begin with

I understand some people need a chance to dream, but your attitude that everyone is destined for irrational success is tiring. Not everyone is as dreamy as you, including some very successful people. I’m worried that you’re seriously in la la land and are going to waste away dreaming one day.

Thanks for the responses people. What I’m really trying to get out of this post is a reality check, as some of you put it. To clarify, the investment analyst role was a fund analyst, so I did have limited experience as I did research for a financial planning firm, but not to the level of detail this position would require. I’d like some feedback on my approach to securing a position like this and you can let me know whether it is realistic or if my hopes of getting into this competitive field are diminishing each and every day.

1. Continue to study and read everything I can get my hands on regarding financial markets/investments to stay sharp. I feel this is necessary now more than every since my daily routine has nothing to do with the markets.

2. Start writing my own investment reports on mutual funds/etfs

3. Practice investment pitches so my interview will go much smoother. I was not prepared for this in first one.

4. I need an objective opinion on my resume. Anyone willing to give free advice is welcome. I know Numi is great at this but I really just want some opinions right now on how the overall look and vibe is. If you care to take a look, post your email and I’ll send it to you. If possible, anyone that’s in the field that I’m looking to get into would be great.

Thanks guys.

#HaveYouHeardofNumi?

Sadly, itera is a sadist who takes malicious pride in “setting people straight”… Hopefully it’s led some people to question if being in ER is even desirable if it turns you into a cyber buffoon who spends more time posting on AF then doing actual work.

Optimism trumps pessimism, which is unfortunate for this cretin.

^ Whoa partner, now slow down! You make these comments without in fact understanding what itera’s role is. You must understand, he is the Global Head of Optimism Prevention for Company XYZ. What’s next, getting angry at a dog because he barks or being upset with MMA fighters for being too brutal? I hope you understand where these people are coming from…sometimes they cannot help it.

Not that I’m saying that Itera is right/wrong, but optimism has no place when it’s foolish and unsubstantiated. That’s just as equally unproductive to being a Debbie Downer. I can recall many times in my personal and professional life where I wish I had someone sit down with me and set me straight. It would have saved a lot of time and heartache.

tyler4040 is angry little troll who comes on/off onto AF every once in a while. Doesn’t hold any relevant job in the industry, or even the CFA charter, but personally takes offense and hates on people who says it as it is. It stems from his subconscious fear that he’s getting nowhere, and his only avenue of strength is through a keyboard and an anonymous forum.

Agree. I’ve got one friend who just tells you how it is. I made friends with him a few years ago and at first was like, this guy is kind of a d!ck sometimes. Now I’ve come to respect the no bull$h!t, objective advice he has to offer.

I totally agree with both of you but itera’s gloominess on AF makes ZH seem like a creation of Victor Niederhoffer. All the “you can be whatever you want to be” or “I got a 2.4 gpa from CUNY, will Goldman hire me?” crap needs to be beaten down immediately, but this tool shows no restraint. It’s only a random forum but I think the fact that this douche is stalinistic when being a faceless keyboard zombie helps no one.

I totally agree with both of you but itera’s gloominess on AF makes ZH seem like a creation of Victor Niederhoffer. All the “you can be whatever you want to be” or “I got a 2.4 gpa from CUNY, will Goldman hire me?” crap needs to be beaten down immediately, but this tool shows no restraint. It’s only a random forum but I think the fact that this douche is stalinistic when being a faceless keyboard zombie helps no one.

^

i missed you Tyler. Where you been brah?

shoot for the stars. living any other wasn’t isn’t good for you!

keep on applying!