Are you an Expert Financial Modeler with Grand Wizard like skills?

Hi!

I’m looking for an expert financial modeler with grand wizard like skills to help me understand some of the formulas in this very complex lbo-merger model I have to duplicate.

My modeling skills are basic to say the least. I’ve never seen some of these formulas implemented in this model. Some cells contain so much code, that if copied, you could fill a page in word. The model is super complex, hence why Im looking for someone with grand wizard modeling skills. Since the model is super complex I would want to focus on two tabs to begin - the dashboard (inputs) and debt sweep. If you have prior investment banking or private equity experience and pride yourself in how beast your modeling skills are…well…be prepared for a rude awakening. GS took a look and said…“wholly F1 key! We’ve never seen anyone model like this before” Ps. No major macros, mainly hairy excel formulas. We can chat off line about this in more detail if you are interested!

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

I paid $500 for Breaking Into Wall St… and its not worth it… Too much emphasis on keyboard shortcuts… Practice making your own models utilizing different functions. YouTube videos will cover every “advanced” topic in some form…

Dude! this is way more advance than breaking into wall street, training the streets, wall street training.

I’m asking for help in trying to understand these insane formulas. Not take a class in financial modeling because i’ve already taken some…an unless you are doing this 24/7 it’s a waste of money.

I’ll be happy to take a look.

Hi S2000. What is the best way to reach you in private?

Can you post an example of what you’re seeing as being a ‘beast’ formula?

I would advise agaisnt it!

Send me a PM.

Or e-mail me at bill@financialexamhelp123.com

Ah, I’ve seen that before, one place hired me largely based on the belief that I could figure this crap out for them (the prior analysts who were hired to do it gave up). There are models, and then there’s stuff like this, which stumps people who think they are advanced modelers. Crazy logic imbedded in logic imbedded in logic, with references to everything at once. You break one reference and the whole model goes dead. My approach was to map the logic out on paper, with lots of coffee, and lots of Googling of obscure functions. Once I understood what it was doing, I could visualize the mega-formula as more managable chunks. Not really that fun, unless you’re a real sicko.

Sounds like a bunch of nested IF, AND, OR, statements with some intermediate formulas. I bet the model isn’t that bad. Macros are a completely different level because you have to understand VBA. Extensive formulas like this one indicate to me that the person modeling isn’t good at all. It shouldn’t take a page to write out a command. Use a macro or learn formula shortcuts. There’s no reason to have nested formulas that extend forever. You also lose “computing power” in excel by making superflous formulas.

While I’m not a fan of this page-long formula method, in my single encounter with it the person WAS very good. The formulas were not superfluous, the person had simply boiled the whole workbook down to a minimum number of cells which did all the calcs (as opposed to each cell doing one calc). It was brilliant work, except for the minor problem that nobody else could follow it!

Yup, we had processor melt-down issues. But then again, we had them no matter how the math was phrased…hit recalc, go to lunch.

Sent!

if,ifisna, vlooks, indirects, address, offsets, iferror, match, index divided by another index imbedded in logic x 1000000

its F’ing insane!

You got it!!!

Its filled with crazy nested if, and or, plus a crap load of other functions.

The guy that wrote it tried to add extreme flexibility to a model that uses different forecasts from other departments…so unfortunately is a necessary evil.

Yeah, I was guessing there would be a bunch of match and index type stuff. Always loads of fun…

[quote=“dp013”]

Sounds like a bunch of nested IF, AND, OR, statements with some intermediate formulas. I bet the model isn’t that bad. Macros are a completely different level because you have to understand VBA. Extensive formulas like this one indicate to me that the person modeling isn’t good at all. It shouldn’t take a page to write out a command. Use a macro or learn formula shortcuts. There’s no reason to have nested formulas that extend forever. You also lose “computing power” in excel by making superflous formulas.

[/quote

Our modeler has tried to add a lot of flexibilty which unfortunately creates super crazy formula strings which are impossible to follow. At least for someone with intermediate skills.

No offense, but that sounds like a poor model.

I meant to post this yesterday, but never hit the “add comment” button before I left work. You’ve since edited your reply… why the need for two accounts?

It’s a hairy beast!

Works well though!

The issue is that in order to maintain accuracy and combine multiple inputs from different teams you have to model dynamically to the point that normal people can’t easily audit!

As a quantitative modeler, I cannot help to comment on this:

1. If you put more than one formula into a XL-cell, you are doing it wrong.

2. If you use XL for complex modelling, you are doing it wrong!!!

3. If your model is too complicated for your successor to understand, you are doing it wrong and you probably tried to make yourself irreplacable.

4. If you think a model is complex just because it has MANY functions, you have no idea what complex models are.

5. If your model cannot seperate the input side from the operating side, you are doing it wrong.

My advice: start fresh and recreate the model in clean code. If it is as complex as you say, build the model in R or Python (at least in VBA!).