Downhill road - never ending battle

First off - thank you to all the ppl on here that have taken time over the last few months/yr to give me advice as I struggle to survive work w/ a new manager - really appreciate the feedback.

After doing everything that I possible could’ve at work to please my current mgr, the Monday after I took L3, I was given an ad-hoc performance review that basically said something along the following lines: “CfaFatso, while you’ve improved significantly since your annual review (which was a shock on its own since my previous reviews w/another mgr were always STELLAR and this mgr never said anything negative) and we’re very pleased with your performance, we’re just not confident that you’re ready for the next step (was up for promotion) & that this is the right place for you. We appreciate your hard work, but think its time you find something that’s a better fit/you’re more passionate about and you have until end of the year to find another opportunity. We’ll support your schedule as you interview and in return ask you to continue your responsibilities here.”

At first I was pissed as I’ve been with this firm since I grad college and worked my butt off, sacrificing health & all my social life (like I literally have NO friends and I’ll be 31 soon). Then, I was disappointed. I know that there are lots of things that I can improve on, but I guarantee you that I’m the hardest worker on that team and know my shi*. My only “problem” (that I think could’ve cause an issue) was that I don’t do facetime. Give me work and I’ll sit there til midnight (and in many instances I have), but if not, I’m leaving at a reasonable hour, while my new manager (single, in his 40s) is all about facetime. Wonder if that’s what it came down to. Apparently decision was made earlier this year and they waited to tell me after L3 - which was nice I assume.

Since then, I’ve reached out to several of my contacts and no one is aware of any opportunities at this point. I’ve also emailed my resume to several recruiters and most haven’t been helpful at all - like they tare not responsive or take my resume, say it’s great and how they have all these opportunities, and then they disappear…or maybe this is normal and just seems annoying to me given that I want out like ASAP! I’m not sure what to do next. Busy season will start in a few weeks and on one hand, I want to really screw them over to show them the value I added (not arrogant at all - lots of external teams recognize and would comment on my quick turn-around vs. my mgr who just sat on crap - too bad they don’t impact the decision…). On another hand, if I just quit right before busy season, I ruin my hard earned reputation (possibly burning bridges), may make it more dififcult to find another job being unempl, and most importantly, can’t help but think what if I don’t find anything l/t? What am I going to do w/all my time? I guess I could always pursue an MBA, but I’d rather just use my savings and go on a LONG vacation - you know to make up for my 20s that I spend working for a career that is now absolustely worthless. I’m just lost and not sure what to do. Plus, MBA is really expensive and hard to get into a top program - so if I can’t find another job, how the heck am I going to get in a top program? I do have sufficient saving, don’t mind significantly cutting back and even moving back home so I guess I could just lay low for a while?

Sorry for the long post, but as you can tell, I’m completely lost. I’m even a bit paranoid - what if they are just saying I have until YE so I’ll work busy season and then fire me afterwards. No guarantees that they’ll honor their word. Really hoping I’ll find something in the next few weeks, but if not, as I like to be mentally prepared, what would you suggest I do?

Thank God for the upcoming long weekend - need a vacay and a beer…and a job.

Do you need the money? What is the reason you are staying on even though your employer said you have zero chance of staying employed with the firm. Sounds like they ARE going to fire you after busy season.

What industry are you in that requires you to have face time? I’m assuming you aren’t in IBD but some ER type role.

be positive. its pretty clear they are pushing u out (i.e., they are not looking for change, they are looking to get rid of u). i wouldnt take it as a negative though. in fact i think it might be better for you. some roles require a lot of facetime. perhaps u should have done more, but dont worry about it now, maybe do more on ur next job, or name it a weakness so its not an expectation. imo, i dont think u should f around and be spiteful. giving you 6 months to find something is very generous. i’ve had a friend literally laid off same day cold blooded style. now here is what i would do.

1. no vacation. not in my dna. sitting around and doing nothing is bad for my sanity. without a job, or a purpose, i wouldnt even shower. lol.

2. mba, any top 50 school is good enough imo. to me MBA is essentially a vacation. i miss my college days, so carefree. i actually juss went to a usc frat party last weekend, havent gone in a couple years, and i miss it bad. besides if they lay u off, you get unemployment checks. seriously, think of the bright side, you get paid to do nothing and prep for mba. september is 1st round. january is 2nd round. juss fyi. august is start date. and when u find out u get accepted. u can immediately do an internship, which is prolly around the time the unemployment checks stop. haha. the system is down!!

3. look for a job. i’d do this once i clear the cfa exams. juss to be more marketable. its like this, the more cred u got, the easier it is to find a job with someone worthwhile. since ur bad at facetime, ur prolly better off working at a pension/endowment/insurance fund. it sounds like u prefer this. if that is the case, try and try, if it doesnt pan out. take it a sign and go for ur mba.

above all else be positive. it’ll turn up.

Don’t quit before you have another job offer. Then, you can leave and “screw them over.”

Network, network, network. Start today.

Find out who the hiring managers are at the firms you’d like to work at and network your way to them. Let them know that you are interested and looking to work for them.

Wow i’ve heard of blunt words from mgmt before, but never heard them that blunt.

On the positive side, if you get let go, you’ll be able to collect unemployment. quitting gets you nothing

Easier to find a job when you have a job, even if you know it’s coming to the end. Are you a reviewer for research reports or something?

Linkedin bro. 10 submissions per day.

What are you good at? I mean really, really good at?

That’s where you should start looking.

fantasy football and cooking

Just to be clear - you guys think getting fired is better than quitting? I thought the severance package is optional, not guaranteed? Unless you’re referring to unempl check from the govt, which sounds absolutely depressing…to think that’s what it’s come to.

I guess at this point it’s not really even about the money - I just don’t want to be there. To know and be told hey you went above and beyond and we’re pleased, but still find something else, makes you wonder what’s the point. I do agree that leaving during busy season is just not in my nature - that’ll just put more workload on my other teammates and since they don’t know (or at least I’m told they don’t know) the convo behind closed door and I’d hate to waste the reputation I built over the past few yrs.

Met with a recruiter earlier today and apparently these next few wks before labor day suck for job search…great. I’ll start applying online (linkedin per the suggestion above)…any other sites that are good? Would you suggest I just continue to focus on job search or maybe also GMAT/grad school apps (just incase I don’t find anything)? I really dont want to invest all that money in school, but may be a good reset button?

Thanks again - hope I can return the favor someday to someone else in need - and happy fourth!

yea u know what.

1. you are not being fired, you are being laid off. best euphemism to use. Dont let pride get in the way of getting paid to do nothing. you said u wanted a vacation, well if they lay you off then let the system take care of it. them govt checks!!! u essentially paid for thois anyways when they start taxin u for it.

2. i think that if ur teammates knew what they said to u, they would be more supportive of u even if u leave them holding the bag. assuming of course they like u to begin with. again maybe u juss not the right fit for them and mgmt was letting u kno. 6 months to find a job is a god send plus anotjher 6 months by govt. u should be able to find a job in a years time with equal pay.

3. it really sounds u dont want to go back to school. dont do it. i think u can easily find a job. juss use linkedin. they legit.

@ OP: I wouldn’t beat myself up if I were you. You clearly had an issue with your super and the situation would have made you unhappy somewhere down the road. I know hearing this won’t make you feel better, but you never know if this event wasn’t for the better. You clearly liked your job, but it appears you were not as appreciated as you thought you deserved. Take your time and then reflect on yourself. You mentioned facetime is your weakspot, maybe it is time to improve on that. You don’t have to iron out each and every wrinkle you have on your personality, but if you think this hinders you from career progression I would consider it. I am pretty much the same and had some situations in which I got the boot simply because of lack of personal fit.

Years back, I applied for a position for which I was definitely overqualified, but it would have been a job with great work-life. I had a fantastic interview with my potential boss who was enthusiastic about me coming to their firm given my qualifications. I was pretty sure I had the job (he already talked to me like he wanted me to do this and that the following day and showed me my desk) when an hour into the interview the boss’s boss came in slapped his business card in my lap and treated me like a clueless schoolboy for half an hour. I stayed polite and answered his stupid questions that he didn’t have to ask had he come to the interview on time. I hadn’t said a word and I knew the guy did not like me. Naturally, I did not get the job. When I called them for a post-interview talk the first interviewer told me that we had no personal fit and he noticeably regreted their decision.

You aren’t fired yet. You may be able to switch jobs and the new employer never knows lol

Never believe your individual impact on your team is as great as your own perspective says it is. Every role i’ve left was immediately filled with someone else who limped the deal along until they were able to fill my shoes - even when I was told I was one of the best and my work was greatly appreciated, irreplaceable etc.

I’m sure you’re an allstar but in the end everyone’s replaceable, what’s not replacable is one’s ability to remain humble when you’re clealry getting the metaphorical shaft. Perhaps your frustration bled over into your work and you just didn’t see it but your other team memembers/management saw it as toxic and thought it was better to cut ties and give you advance warning that you need a new job?

Either way try to not burn bridges and get yourself out there to try and find a new role that utilizing your current set of skills but remotivates you. Do not bring your dismotivation and frustration with you, leave it at your old desk!

Why is hiring slow during the summer? I am new to the industry and several people mentioned this.

vacations

Thank you all for your words of encouragement - I guess I’ve already been so patient no point turning back now - just hoping that even though summer months suck, I can find something suitable before busy season picks back up again.

A few of you mentioned LinkedIn - is that regular or the premium membership (that you pay for)? Any other websites that you’d recommend? I’ve submitted my resume to quite a few places but either no response or something very entry level - on one hand I want to take it just to get out of here, but that makes an old fart like myself equivalent to a college grad and in the l/t w/respect to comp/position might be worse as I’ll be in a same position (trying to get promoted and not being considered).

Anyway, no actual interview/offers yet - summer months really suck - I wanna go on a vacation myself for 6 months and travel or do somethin non-profit, but I like the $ in my bank account too lol

We shall see - def going somewhere for Labor Day - let’s hope I can celebrate getting my charter and/or job offer by then. Thanks again mates!

Have you tried recruiting services? Hays, manpower, etc.?

Agree with this. People dont just out of the blue decide they dont like someone after months/quarters/years of working together. There was/is something about you that made you unlikeable and that is why youre getting shown the door. Whatever it is, change it.

I would plan to leave ASAP. Set a predetermined date and let your employer know.

Finish busy season and make sure you can get recommendations, publically on Linkedin. I would take some time off and reconnect with old college/high school friends - I’m guessing you missed a ton of weddings. Travel around Europe for a month or two, afterwards ask yourself if you really want to be working till midnight for years to come.