My Firm Stopped Paying Me - Advice?

I’m starting to notice it’s the same handful of people replying.  What is everyone’s background?  Just trying to put everyone’s advice into proper context.  

Anyone know of any worthwhile finance related volunteer organizations or projects.  I’m seriously thinking about jumping ship and initiating the lawsuit next month, but I’d feel a lot more confident about it if I had a passable plan to explain my gap.

PequodNYC wrote:

I’m starting to notice it’s the same handful of people replying.  What is everyone’s background?  Just trying to put everyone’s advice into proper context.  

I currently have a GED certificate on my wall and dig ditches during the day while slinging burgers at MCD by night.

I’m starting to notice you haven’t told us what type of firm this is, if there are AUM, and if client funds are at stake at this point of insolvency.

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.” - Gandhi

I’m gonna have to go ahead and ask you to move your desk again – so if you could just go ahead and get it going back as far against that wall as possible, that would be great.

#Mmmkay

Dude, they’re taking you for a ride. If I were you i’d go to HR and demand all my money or your burning the whole place to the ground.

Sue them…and sue them quickly!

plumber > stripper > experience > CFA > MBA

hurry get to the choppa it is going down!

Be yourself. The world worships the original.

take a dump on your desk every moring then go to the gym.

PequodNYC wrote:

bchad wrote:

I don’t think the OP is trolling.  

But it is indeed a very very wierd situation, both for the company to do this, and for the OP and coworkers to put up with it without a legal fight or at least leaving for another company.

Nah, everyone is going to sue absent a miraculous change in corporate behavior.  It is a growing legal receiveable (or so I’ve been told by three lawyers I consulted).  Just have to make sure you initiate your claim before the legal deadline.  The junior kids have left.  More options and more openings at junior level.  Job search is taking much longer than expected.  After that initial flurry of interviews through contacts, it really slowed down.  Getting pretty fed up, but I don’t think I’m doing myself a favor by quitting without a job in hand so long as “work” isn’t getting in the way of the job search.  Like I said in a previous post, the more senior the position you are applying to, the more toxic it is to be an unemployed candidate.

Sadly, I could spend double the time on my job search but I don’t think it would double my chances of finding a job.  

So you consult with 3 lawyers, dismiss their advice, and seek guidance from muppets like me on an online message board.  

CFAvsMBA wrote:

PequodNYC wrote:

bchad wrote:

I don’t think the OP is trolling.  

But it is indeed a very very wierd situation, both for the company to do this, and for the OP and coworkers to put up with it without a legal fight or at least leaving for another company.

Nah, everyone is going to sue absent a miraculous change in corporate behavior.  It is a growing legal receiveable (or so I’ve been told by three lawyers I consulted).  Just have to make sure you initiate your claim before the legal deadline.  The junior kids have left.  More options and more openings at junior level.  Job search is taking much longer than expected.  After that initial flurry of interviews through contacts, it really slowed down.  Getting pretty fed up, but I don’t think I’m doing myself a favor by quitting without a job in hand so long as “work” isn’t getting in the way of the job search.  Like I said in a previous post, the more senior the position you are applying to, the more toxic it is to be an unemployed candidate.

Sadly, I could spend double the time on my job search but I don’t think it would double my chances of finding a job.  

So you consult with 3 lawyers, dismiss their advice, and seek guidance from muppets like me on an online message board.  

people only hear what they want to hear

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

Itera, nothing I’m doing is inconsistent with their advice.  Each of them saw it the same way, as a straight forward wage claim with damages.  Stay until you find a new job or until you can’t take it anymore.  Leave before you sue.  Don’t give them a reason to fire you for cause.  Basic stuff…

I’m still shopping for a better lawyer.  Looking for someone with a pitbull attitude, smart, willing to work on contingency and of course has lots of experience with FINRA arbitration.  A smart lawyer is great, but just as important is experience in that specific field.  A labor lawyer with a few FINRA wage claim cases under their belt doesn’t cut it.  Plus a lot of the better lawyers prefer the steadier business representing employers.

CFAvsMBA wrote:

PequodNYC wrote:

I currently have a GED certificate on my wall and dig ditches during the day while slinging burgers at MCD by night.

Right on man, way to finally hit that peak.

You hanging that GED proudly in your personalized burger flicking area?  I would but I only have this worthless CFA tubing.

CFAvsMBA owns that MCD in midtown manhattan….he just flips burgers because he believes that the owner must be present in the kitchen during peak hours.  The ditch he is digging is actually for his rooftop garden for drainage/irrigation for his plants/trees for his penhouse at 15 central park west.

Be yourself. The world worships the original.

So you still working for free lil cubby?

Thanks for the advice along the way.  Great start to the year.  They started paying me again.  I filed my FINRA claim the following week.  Hopefully they fire me because of it - - I can add a zero to the end of my claim amount.

Still slow on the job front.  Had my second interview for a risk management role in SF right before Christmas but no word from the recruiter. Would be comparable salary but bonus potential is capped.

Looks like I’m heading for a new chapter to my career.  Wish I did it on my terms but I’m just relieved to take back some of the control in my life.  Hope nobody reading this goes through anything similar.  It was a miserable trip.  Thanks again.

never happened

"You want a quote? Haven’t I written enough already???"

RIP

Congrats. Did they pay you all the back pay? What did your manager / HR say?

gamblingeconomist wrote:

They fixed the glitch.

crying

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bump.  I wonder what’s the update on this guy.

Sweep the Leg: "I’m tired."
KMeriwetherD: "Well, you were basically Legolas in the Battle of Water Cooler."

JBrowntown wrote:

Bump.  I wonder what’s the update on this guy.

Yeah me too - hopefully he found his red stapler…

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.” - Gandhi

This was one of my favorite threads, would like an update.

'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. And a donut with no hole, is a danish'