Back office bonus at an IB?

Title says it all.

What’s a typical % payout for a quasi back office role at the associate level in NYC? Are we talking max of 10% for the best of the best or is the range much bigger than that?

I never saw 10% when I was in the BO. Usually around 7-8%.

I bet you’ll get a bunch of answers on glassdoor,

but I’ve known people at GS with base say 100k, bonus 15-20k. it really depends though

Im hitting around 6-8% the last few years but not at an IB. Had a few interviews for BO roles at IB though and the comp numbers seemed to be in line with what I am earning.

When I worked back office in asset management bonus structure typically was between 10-15% I would imagine IB is similar maybe slightly more but bonuses are still top heavy no matter where you are. I would argue it depends on your back office role as well i.e. risk management may very well land better bonuses then say trade settlements. Although both likely considered BO some risk management positions directly influence trading activity and could be more valued.

pre tax or after tax?

controller at my fund had a bonus that matched his base.

^ wow his bonus was 100% of base? that’s hard to believe

why, some controllers are 1 step away from CFO, CEO

Controller by itself is a pretty meaningless term, could be some kid who just worked a few years at a big4 and joined, could be a more senior person. Also depending on the funds performance and possibly smaller bonuses the previous years they were giving it to the person to keep them happy. Tons of reasons why that bonus may have been warranted, just seems high with no context.

Is it? What is the norm for controllers at hedge funds? thought they get 50% to 100%…

How big is your hedge fund company? I’m sure there is a lot of variability in hedge fund compensation by firm. If the boss of a particular fund wants to pay his close staff a big bonus, he’s free to do so. However, at banks or larger firms, the compensation tends to be more standardized and formulaic.