P&L Analyst - Career Path?

Have an interview tomorrow in the P&L team in a comapany providing hedge fund services.

Yeah Yeah, the same company that hires bunch of fund accountants.

Anyway, what would be the career path?

I guess one could learn about security valuation, different financial products etc etc.

But is there a way out in 1-2 years? What can one do in 1-2 years?

It sounds like a standard MO job. You take some numbers from various clients or trading desks, reconcile any discrepancies, and send out reports. Maybe you can eventually network with people in other roles, but ops is ops. Also, given that this is a fund services firm, your opportunities, if any, would probably be more towards relationship management with funds, rather than directly to the funds themselves, at least initially. It might be a good idea to LinkedIn stalk some employees of this company before your interview, and ask them for the insider story.

Also, you seem to have a lot of interviews. Hopefully, something works out.

After a year or 2 there you may move to a hedge fund and do some ops work there. some funds lump up “middle office” and “back office (fund accountant)” together and some do not. Those that do not you could join their “middle office” team. You will have daily interaction with the investment team and sit on the trading floor. Do some interesting work and do some boring work. work is work. You can stay in ops or you could move to FO who knows - with lot of work on your end and some luck.

Well, comparing to the number of resumes I sent out, I would expect more interviews.

Plus for all the interviews that I got, none of the positions seem to be something that I really want to do.

Yes and I stalked some ppl on linkedin. It seems most of them stayed in the company and some people have been in the same position for years.

Well…it is kinda sad.

Seems like your issue was more about your expecations than anything. Everythingn I see on every career board/site talks about people sending hundreds of resumes and barely hearing back from any, the hit rate is extremely low and you should know this going in to it. That being said, there is no penalty for not hearing back, only negative is it may bruise your ego, but you only need 1 yes to get you where you want to be.

This is the type of job where you definitely don’t want to stay in for over 2 years, because then you’d be stuck as a back office employee

Yes sounds like a back office job to me