Working as a freelancer financial analyst

Hello people,

do you think it is possible to work as a freelancer in financial industry. Any idea or a web site ?

thanks in advance

If you have a wide network of people that know and trust your work, you can certainly live hopping contract to contract. I know several folks that so this. Generally after 10-15 years of regular jobs to build that network. People don’t generally just contract out finance work on oDesk or whatever though, and any that does go, gets taken by an Indian charging $2/hr. Since you won’t be billing full time doing work like that, if you’re not making $150/hr+, your probably much better off in any intermediate finance job. And you won’t make that much without great experience and a solid resume. I’ve done some free finance writing, but that’s a different skillset and I have a pretty big portfolio of high quality work. I still struggle to compete with foreigners who will work for pretty much free.

Who are these cats making $150/hour?

I’ve seen a lot of senior level people struggling to make $75/hour as consultants.

^ Then they aren’t senior or are working in some backwood. That’s a brutal consultant salary for a senior guy (assuming 10 years experience) and charter. That’s below average for a FT salary for a senior guy. Consulting you need to make 30%+ more per hour to cover benefits, no bonus, no vacation, prospecting time, etc.

They are senior but yes, analysts working in the background. Good friend of mine is making $150k/year on contract. That’s about $75/hour.

Which city are you working in?

Does anyone know any web site for freelancer in finance. For programers there are.