CFA I Required

Hey guys, quick question for you. I’m looking at a job that requireds CFA Level I. The deadline is July 25th, but results won’t be out until the 26th. The application asks if I have completed level I. Obviously, I have to select “NO” since it is against the rules to state such a thing before you have received the results, and also I won’t know for sure if I passed (although I am quite confident that I passed). Should I still apply for this job or would it be a waste of time?

Apply for the job. What can you lose? You should know whether you passed by the time they make their hiring decision or even before they interview you (if you get interviewed).

What if you said “yes” and then if you didn’t pass, but your candidacy advances, tell them you found something else then withdraw from the application process?

Nah, I’m just kidding…don’t do that.

I’m just wondering if there’s a filter that rejects applicants who select “No”

I find it somewhat odd there is a very specific job requirement of passing level 1 (which is not the norm), and yet they don’t know exam results are days away from the deadline.

Alot of jobs I’m lookng at list Level I as a requirement / minimum. For this one, the deadline is the 25th; the exam results will be out on the 26th. I wonder if they’re doing this on purpose because they want “experienced” Level I holders…

HR isnt sophisticated. They probably dont know what CFA is, let alone what date the results come out.

Just put no and if there is an option a bit later then say ur waiting for results on 26th

How confident are you of passing? If it were me, I think I would select yes. Hopefully by the time they get to interviews it will be true. If not, you will be canned, but then they might screen you out of a potential interview anyway for having selected no in the first place. So I don’t see what you have to lose by saying yes.

You will most likely be auto rejected if you answer No. If you answer Yes and are invited to interview, assuming results are still pending, you can explain the situation and it will probably be ok. If you end up failing the exam, it might get awkward. So, it’s up to you on how confident you are of passing, or how desperate/willing to be sketchy you are.

By saying “yes”, you are in violation of the code & standard. So, don’t do this.

Chances are… people interviewing you are charterholders or are going through the program themselves and they will likely spot this ethics violation during the interview process (if there is an interview process). So, that would get you out of the running right away and if they do choose to report you (probably unlikely they waste their time, but some people are sticklers for the rule), you would likely get some type of a ban from the CFAI.

Apply for the job. Say you No to passing L1, but specify somewhere else that you are awaiting results.

^

Hiring managers don’t usually ask for CFA level 1 if they aren’t CFA themselves.

Don’t lie about it. You might get filtered but the fall out from getting found out is even worse in the long run.

Call them…

yeah contact the hiriing manager

if you’re good - its fine — you’ll have the pass on your resume in the interview (if you actually pass) but check the ‘no’ box for the time being

Thanks for the input guys. I am quite confident, but I know that stating “Yes” is a violation. I decided to select “No”. I’ll be surprised if I get a reply from their hiring department.

There was no information regarding the hiring manager, but thanks for that suggestion. I’ll consider that if possible for future applications.

Canadian banks don’t post hiring manager details. It’s a HR stonewall. There’s literally nowhere on the website where you can find an email or phone number for anyone in a corporate hiring capacity. Otherwise it’d be like AF Career Forum in real life.