unrelated job experience on LinkedIn, yay or nay

As I’ve posted in the past but not too much recently, I came to finance from a different field. Should i list out this experience or not include it (and also not include my graduation date either). For the former, the positives I think of it would be it shows a very rapid progression (I moved to one of the very best companies in 2 years time). But I feel it is distracting and takes away a bit from what I’ve done lately. it sets me apart but I don’t know if the reason is good, especially to someone who hasn’t met me yet.

My resume does not include it since it’d make my resume over a page.

If you’re uncomfortable, leave it out. Importantly, LinkedIn is there to advertise your personal brand, so it doesn’t need to be an exhaustive list of your work history.

I’ve completely left out unrelated experience on LinkedIn and resume. the only scenario that might make sense is if your unrelated experience was at a big prestigious shop and you had some related experience at a no name place.

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m going to clean it up, make it all relevant.

Take it out kid. Don’t include graduation date

Interesting, I disagree. I think you can make all experience “related” experience if you are creative enough. There have to be skills that you honed or experiences you learned from in your previous roles that add to the full package you are offering today. The trend these days is to look for “diverse” candidates and a non-traditional background helps you claim that.

In interviews, I’ve really played up the experience and made it relevant. People seem interested in how it can benefit them. But on LinkedIn, it seems like you’d have people think, hmm that’s interesting without thinking of the benefits or at worst some hr/recruiter doing there 10 second reads between checking their Facebook or instagrams and blowing me off as someone who doesn’t fit the mold. I’m very proud of it too so that’s why I’ve left it on there so long but I think the downside may be greater than the upside without me explaining it.

It really depends. Was it something cool like being a heli-ski instructor for a few months between jobs? Did you help establish electricity/internet to a small African village? Those clearly aren’t relevant, but very interesting.

As I recall from previous discussions on your past, I would leave it out. Most people who haven’t had to grind it out won’t value that sort of “started from the bottom” story. Heck I started as an FA and can’t wait for that to fall off the one pager. However, if they do ask be prepared to have a wicked story about growth and the American dream.

Yeah, it’s not so much how related the job is as how badass it makes you look.

Here are unrelated jobs that you might want to leave on:

1. Wing suit pilot

2. Navy SEAL

3. Tenured professor (apparently, there is an ER associate at a bank here who used to be a professor at Top 15 ish type of university. I don’t know what motivated this person to switch).

4. Professional soccer player

5. Consultant at notable firms or organizations like IMF, World Bank, etc.

6. Lawyer

7. Concert pianist

Here are things you might want to leave off your resume:

1. Dog walker

2. Life Coach

3. You are Ryan Lochte

4. Medieval reenactment actor

5. Romance novelist

leave it off, Even something spectacular, these drones wont embrace it because 9 times out of 10 they wont “get” it. If you want to put something badass, list it in the bottom of the resume under the “Skills, interests” section of the resume

Unrelated job experience = no

Height, weight, bench press max, most expensive watch owned = yes

Hp, give us a general idea what you were doing. You’ve mentioned that people seem interested in it. I think it could separate you or at the very least provide an opportunity to connect with interviewers. It also depends on your industry. A generalist PE fund may be interested in your knowledge of say managing a consumer discretionary based retail location whereas an oil and gas firm likely does not.

I personally have kept information regarding a lucrative internet marketing venture I ran for 8 years from high school through college on my resume. Not related to finance work, but it does clearly demonstrate many personal characteristics of mine and a certain amount of information in an area that may be useful in my industry. Full disclosure, it’s going to be reduced to a single line at the bottom after my next job. Currently I have one internship and one full time job along with this experience.

That is excellent to keep on the resume. It shows you have some entrepreneurial and true business abilities. There are a lot of smart people on Wall St. that are very good at what they do, but many of them would not succeed in running an actual business (even a small one). Why it’s useful to have these skills as an investor/analyst is to better pick out solid management teams and/or those companies that are well run.

salesman for multiple car dealerships, last and longest stint was at a luxury dealer (easily top 1 brand). During my SS ER interviews, they were very interested when I told them of my progression and stories of breaking certain online sales records (basically pitching cars sight unseen to out of state clients on the phone). Good times…

It depends on what job you are applying for then. Yes for SS, this would be very good to have on the resume.

You do not have to dedicate a section to every place you worked, but if you sold $25 million of Lamborghinis, you might want to put that somewhere.

What is a “top 1” brand anyway? I think this is debatable at best.

I’d say it’s the best full line luxury brand. If you ask 100 random people around the world to name the first luxury car brand that comes to mind, no doubt it would lead the polls. Definitely “top 3” as we say around here, but not low volume (lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, ect) we sometimes did get one in on trade and had them in inventory though.

you talking Merc or BMW?

yeah, gotta be either Benz or Beemer