Back office financial analyst at McKinsey

I’ve been offered an interview with them for an analyst job with their Global Reporting group. It’s basically back office, supporting the company and not consulting type position. Does anyone have any experience with McKinsey? Would it be worth taking just to work for McKinsey? What kind of exit ops would this lead to?

Thanks for any help.

I’d say take that job if you actually want to work in that role and it’s better than your current job. Intention of job hopping is the best way to ensure the job is not a good fit. “Exit opportunities” don’t always materialize and are generally not the best reason to take any job.

+1 ohai.

Dont take this job thinking you are going to be hot sh*t because you worked at McKinsey. That would be like taking an ops job at Goldman hoping to become a trader in a few years elsewhere. The actual work you do is far more important than the name on the resume. If you are at McKinsey and not in consulting the name isnt particularly impressive. As someone who works in BO if someone tells me they work BO at Goldman or Blackstone its not like anyone is impressed.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll probably pass on the interview entirely.

Based on my five years in management consulting, here’s my general $.02: Unless “supporting the company” entails making coffee for someone or doing absolutely trivial shit, this sounds like a great opportunity (assuming you’re not already at a good position). You’ll probably still help out with corporate budgeting, forecasting needs, writing reports, and make lots of connections along the way. Don’t discount the networking opportunities. It will open doors on your way out for sure.

Might as well go and interview?

Do you have a better job today? Or just feel entitled to something better?

Having worked at a consulting company myself, I had several interviews opened up to me strictly because I was an ex-consulting company ABC employee that the hiring manager also used to work at. They cared about my role at the company and actual work performed but it opened doors that were previously locked.

To OP, i’d consider the interview. Global reporting isn’t that sexy but it’s not a bad job.

I agree. Can never have too much interview practice and why not find out first hand what you’ll be doing from the people you’d be working for rather than basing it on a few responses on AF?

I agree in part, but I got the impression OP thought working in financial reporting at McKinsey was going to land him a job on the buy side for an exit op. Certainly it may get you looked at and help you network with alums in the future who also worked there, but its not like its going to get you a job you arent qualified for.

That is true, expectations are important.