CFA job experience suggestion

Hi, folks,

New to here. Just want to get some general suggestions. Hopefully I’m allowed to post this item here.

My experience might be a bit weird. I’m in fact a foreign researcher(robotics/engineering) in an scientific institute in Stuttgart. My wife is in economics major and I pick up some interest in finance from her. With some very naive reasons, I happened to pass CFA I&II and FRM I&II during last 1.5 years.

I of course love my current job in the lab but I still want to gain the necessary job experience for the CFA or even FRM. I can contribute 5~6 hours to whatever chance, even without any payment. But my limitation is apparent. I cannot physically go to other places to work as I have to do research. Maybe this is very stupid. Could I ask your kind suggestion about this?

Thanks so much!

If you want to be CFA chartered, you should go work in the investment industry full time, which means quitting your current job. Maybe there is some way you can do it while keeping your research job, but the credential is meant for full time investment professionals.

The alternative is that you are teaching CFA material or in finance in an academic capacity, full-time. This might be difficult to do given your background and long term career goals.