Will being in the USMC Reserve impact my chances for employment with IM, IB, Etc?

Hey,

I plan on joining the USMC reserve, and I am wondering how my reserve status will impact how potential employers will view my hire-ability for IM, IB, Etc firms? I currently have a BS in Economics, MA in Financial Economics, and am study for CFA I. I have been working as a commercial GL underwriter for the past few years. I understand the competitiveness of many of these firms, but I am just curious how they will look at the reserve commitment (1 weekend a month, two weeks in the summer, and potential deployments) on employment.

Thank you for your replies,

Thomas

It’s illegal to hold that against you. Not sure how you could prove it, but it shouldn’t matter. Any firm that holds that against you is a shitty place to work anyway.

It could go either way. It’s either a sign that you take initiative and have interesting things to do outside work, or it could be a sign that you’re not going to be 100% dedicated to the job. If the military commitment is important to you, you should hopefully find an employer that values your time allocation.

It could go either way. It’s either a sign that you take initiative and have interesting things to do outside work, or it could be a sign that you’re not going to be 100% dedicated to the job. If the military commitment is important to you, you should hopefully find an employer that values your time allocation.

Make sure you are familiar with the employment law that covers your service. I believe it is USERRA. They cannot discriminate against you for your obligations to the military. They are also required to hold your job during your periods of activation and you are entitled reinstatement with the same seniority status at your employer as if you had not been absent. Don’t expect most employers to understand and sympathize with your service. I would look for employment with a firm that is a DVBE if you can. They will not only “get it” but it will probably increase the chances of them hiring you.

It should help you.

For the places it does not help you, you already did yourself a favor as you do not want to work for those organizations.

it will be a cool talking point for most employers until it gets in the way of getting a deal done. I can’t see 1 weekend a month working for busy IB teams. Shouldn’t be an issue for IM shops.

not sure about reserves…i know it is totally different but employers and grad schools love military. when i say military i mean westpoint or rotc and commissioned officers. overall it shouldn’t matter. if the hiring manager was in the marines then it should def help!