My address.

16th February, 2017.

****@gmail.com

HR Director,

Company’s name,

Company’s Address,

Country.

Dear Human Resources Director,

I wish to apply for the position of Graduate Trainee in your company because all the enquiries I made recommended **** Company to me.

Haven gotten a master’s degree in Petroleum Engineering, my course work covered topics on Drilling Technology, Production Technology and Reservoir Engineering. Additionally, the numerous internships I did gave me a foundation for further development. For instance, my internship at **** Oil and Gas Company availed me with the opportunity of participating in several trainings and projects like **** and so on.

Based on the Bilateral Education Agreement between the governments of **** and ****, I was awarded a scholarship in 2014 to obtain a master’s degree in the University of ****. I learnt Basic **** Language sequel to the completion of my master’s degree program. Thereafter, I relocated to Germany hoping to sharpen my practical knowledge in Petroleum Engineering. I am currently learning German to enable me integrate into the society.

I would be the right fit for the company because I am a problem solver. Additionally, after looking at the company’s website and reading different testimonies from trainees, I am more convinced that ****Company is the right company for me. I am open for relocation once the need arises. I look forward to your kind consideration. My contact details are enclosed in my curriculum vitae.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Firstname Lastname

Don’t use ‘I would be the right fit’ - say “I would be an asset to the team, because of x y z”. Also, saying you’re a ‘problem solver’ is kind of weak. Thats not a proven skill that you have, unless you solved something in the past you can describe (and should describe) here. Stop saying “Company is right company for me” ---- they know you want to be there. Keep explaining about how your (proven) skills translate to the company’s future success. Use another word instead of “gotten” a degree. Say earned or something of the like. There is a lot of fluff language in there that can be taken out. Have you never worked before and just have education/internship?

Hi Isaiah_53_5,

Thank you for reviewing my cover letter. I really appreciated it. Concerning your question “Have you never worked before and just have education/internship?”, the answer is yes, I have never worked before but have just been doing only internships.

This letter is an ok base, but needs some work. It’s a bit dry and impersonal, and vague in some areas.

Let’s examine just the first paragraph:

“I wish to apply for the position of Graduate Trainee in your company because all the enquiries I made recommended **** Company to me.”

As a reader, I am asking, who recommended this company? What about that recommendation made you want to apply for a job here? Are you just saying this to get a job, or is there actually some background attribute that makes you compatible here? How enthusiastic are you about this job in general?

ohai sample upgrade (I give to you for free):

“I’m writing to apply for the position of Graduate Trainee at BSD Corp. Several recent graduates of my university referred me to this job listing, speaking highly of the supportive environment and learning opportunities that are part of BSD’s culture. Given my aspiration to pursue a career as a [professional BSD], I would feel extremely privileged to have the opportunity to start my career at your firm. I sincerely appreciate your time in reviewing my application.”

Recipe of success - be specific in your goals (I want to be pro BSD), substantiate your background work (I took the time to research this place and ask real people), and most importantly, kiss ass of the jaded and lowly HR drone who reviews countless applications of stuck up kids who think they are The Shit.

Apply the patented ohai recipe to all paragraphs of your letter, and interview slot is guaranteed.

You’ve already got some excellent advice there.

Not much to add only that your emphasis should be on what you bring to the employer, not why you want to work there or that they would be a good fit you you. So the first few points you make should be what you would bring to the firm (education, internships, ambition/character) and then only towards the end would I talk about getting positive feedback on their firm etc.

Thank you Ohai. I will make sure that I incorporate your advice into my new cover letter.