Temporary consulting/permanent role advice

Hi All,

Currently looking for roles in ER/analyst at a FoF, AM, or family office BUT just recently had a recruiter reach out to me regarding a 10 month or so contract role with the POSSIBILITY of going permanent. Whether it turns into a full-time role or not is honestly irrelevant though, because I sincerely despise my current job AND I would be seeing a nearly 70% increase in pay if I were to move over to this temporary position.

The question(s) is/(are): Do I stay in my current Fixed Income front office analyst role and wait until I find something in ER/on the Buyside? OR jump at this 10 month temporary role that is middle office but offering way more pay and just be looking for something more permanent in the meantime? I guess what I need to know is…Will it look like I am too transitive in trying to explain to an ER firm/fund that I am no longer with my company of two years but currently working as basically a consultant (albeit to one of the largest mutual fund companies in the world) that has a really good name or should it be alright and not really matter?

They want to interview early next week and the recruiter said the manager would like to move quickly so any input would be great! thanks!

What is 70%? If it’s 200k to 340k, then that is worth thinking about. If it’s $25k to $43k, then eh…

In any case, I am not sure how moving to middle office is going to help your long term career goals.

it’s 70 total comp to just shy of 120k ish. and I am not going to have to wait until year end to see a large cash portion of that (time value of money) my paychecks will increase immediately by that amount. I live in FL btw.

Thing is, if it will really diminish my reputation or “look” in an interview with a PM or MD at a family office/ER firm/fund for a permanent FO analyst role here in 6 months- year or whatever, then I will pass.

nah man don’t move to “middle office” - in my opinion there is no such thing as “middle office” you are either front or back (operations).

So if I am not doing any research or due diligence that contributes to deriving value of something, then pass correct?

Well what’s odd is that the title is “Fund Data Analyst” but in the description it says “CFA or progress towards highly preferred”. Would this matter to a back office role? It’s a bit confusing : /

run away from this position. forget the money…

Yeah this doesn’t sound like a worthwhile move. Anyone can throw CFA preferred on there. Doesn’t mean much.

Point taken. I am not going to. Thanks for the prompt help! The recruiter said they would wanna interview really quickly and hire fast too (seems a little suspect also). I will hold out for now and keep looking :slight_smile:

also don’t trust what the recruiters say…they will do anything to get their commission.

very true, they do have that incentive alone really. I have only been looking for a month or so for ER/Buyside roles and have had two interviews in South FL at smaller shops (under 1B) but nothing past over the phone. Idk if I am doing something wrong? probably working in Fixed Income to start haha. It’s like even though I have a year experience in alts and 2 in fixed income, I feel like I am going to have to settle for a 1st year analyst role anywhere that has to do with ER because of it.

I am hopeful that a lot of ER analysts already have jobs and aren’t looking because of where we are in the macroeconomic cycle, but if I am gonna make my move, I think I need to do it like NOW.

when you say 1B shop - shop as in hedge fund? buddy of mine wants to move out to FL but cannot find too many HFs out there.

Yes, market neutral fund with no mandate and then another one is based on tail hedging. Oh so he is in the same boat as me haha. They are all in Boca/West Palm/Miami. Tampa sucks for them.

Does he work at a fund now? In all honesty, I am going to give my search like 4-6 months more tops for FO roles here in FL, then I am done. After that, I am going to open the search up to pretty much anywhere in the world that has a big center for finance. My competition will be greater, but supply of firms much higher i think,.

he is a trader at a high yield, special situations fund here in nyc. I am more of a CA but my buddy loves it down there.

There is an open position that I also interviewed for at a large Canadian bank that is High Yield Credit Analyst role but doubt I am moving forward/kind of don’t want to move forward (only because it is Fixed Income) on that is paying 2nd year analyst numbers in total comp down in Miami.

You think he would be interested in something like that? If so, I can send you a private message on here with the details if that is an option on here.

he is going for something higher. the guy is 30 years old with 6 years at a fund as a trader.