Thinking about expat opportunities

Anyone have any advice on best countries/firms to work for internationally outside of the US? I am conversationally proficient in Spanish/Native speaker in English.

Looking for decent pay and a culture that accepts Americans (Most hate us I feel like) and any suggestions would be cool! Definitely want something FO, although I would work in FP&A at a cool/well known company abroad.

I think is pretty hard to waltz up to another country and work as they have to get you a work visa. Why leave the the almighty US of A?

Well that’s what I was wondering also. How much does it cost a firm to pay for that? Like 10k a year or something? Honestly? I just really love foreign chicks LOL. Also, it would be cool to experience life for a bit in a different country. Not that I don’t like it in the US but we got some issues right now. Granted every country does but there are quite a few that have better QOL than us.

You’ll need a skillset that your employer wouldn’t easily find from the local population… I’m not sure that “a love of foreign chicks” or the search for a “cool experience” would get you there.

be an English teacher if you want to nail foreign chicks

HAHA

Marathon- Yes, it is similar to the entry level-mid level positions out of state. Usually employers can source more junior level talent locally and are widely opposed to pay relo costs for those aren’t. However, the US has some of the best colleges in the world and I also have experience at a really well known firm so I don’t think it is completely pointless applying. If I was in a more Senior role currently, ie VP, SVP, MD, then the transition would be much easier for sure.

Stallion - Are you speaking from experience? haha

Change jobs to a firm that has an international presence and then try to work overseas via their office.

I’d say Hong Kong or Singapore are your best avenues, as these countries have developed finance job markets and high regard for foreigners, particularly Western people.

Last two comments are really great points! Thanks guys. I used to date this chick who was slightly more interesting than a box of rocks (pretty fine though) and she transferred from FL to the UK with Bristol Myers in a 3 years experience marketing role, so that’s good advice!

HK and Singapore are how far of a flight from Amsterdam? Oops! thinkin out loud again haha but that would be a great experience. Singapore especially.

Hot foreign chicks come in masses to NYC - I would check out NY if you haven’t been already.

I went there when I was 24 on a free trip and basically what I found out was that there are so many beautiful women living there from all over the world. A hard 6.75 in the city is like a certified 9 here lol. Only thing is, I HATE, and I do not exaggerate when I say that: the weather.

Now if I had an app/piece of technology that could make winter comfortable by pre heating my shirts and slacks before I rolled out of bed every day somehow (maybe set to a timer?), then it might be a different story. Or telecommute during those months from somewhere warm haha.

For real though, here in about 6 months I am going to start looking everywhere, NYC included probably, until I find something.

What is unique about NY is not just the hotness of women, but the highly favorable ratio of females to males. No joke, something is wrong here. I was out with my friend who had 3 girlfriends, who all were aware of each other, and even that they were taking turns to see him. I hope he washes his sheets in between, jeez. Anyway, predictably, he had to leave early due to other social obligations…

#buyersRemorse

Yeah this is the best answer. Either this or teach English in an exchange program or join the Peace Corps, or Fulbright research grant.

While teaching English, that is your full time job correct?

nah man just come to NYC…all kinds of foreigners here…all kind.

One small problem with that. Actually two:

1. How am I going to land a FO role somewhere when all my professional experience has been in the state of FL? The competition has to be insane for FO jobs at HFs/AMs/Pensions etc.

2. I hate NYC weather…I guess I could suck it up for a couple years though then move again? I just do not see myself there long term (ie more than three years) and the money HAS to be right. Won’t move from beaches and virtually year round awesome weather for anything less than high 100s total comp.

Seems like odds are against me considering I have only a BA in econ from a decent lower caliber Top 100 state school high GPA and just decent work experience at a top financial services firm and now a small fixed income shop for the past two years.

No offense – I don’t think you’re expat material. Florida is probably the perfect place for you.

There are a lot of funds from NYC and LA that are openings offices in South FL. Have interviewed with a couple in the past 4 weeks but most of them were annoying “walk me through you’re resume” focused. As if I want to spend 45 mins out of my day explaining to someone what’s right in front of them on a piece of paper. I’d really like to move to Miami though so we’ll see.

Singapore is trying to maintain its population at current levels and the bar is much higher now.

Australia, Canada and New Zealand are your best bets if you have an undergrad degree in something useful not English literature, French anthropology or similar garbage.

English teachers don’t get hot classy chicks, they get the poor, broken and the damned of societe. Go backpacking if you want foreign birds, be aware though 90% are fucking brits

Ah yeah, I think I have heard that. My best friend’s older brother went to a top law school here in the states and went to work for Alibaba in HK as a corporate attorney about 15 years ago. He is now “retired” at 40 because of the RSUs and could get me a FO institutional finance job there on who he knows alone, but Australia would be something I’d be more into. I hold two BA degrees, one in Applied Econ, the other in Finance and graduated with a 3.94 GPA.

Also, I am heading up to Seattle (where said friend lives), then road tripping up to Vancouver, BC and on to Whistler next week so I suppose I can pay attention to Vancouver more in terms of whether I’d live there or not.

Are they the hott variety of the “poor, broken and damned of society”? haha. Not usually into “savin chicks” but I can make exceptions.