Is an MSc. in Finance a viable option for me?

MSc Finance (or Masters in Finance) programs are not as particular as MBA programs when it comes to work experience. The issue is, I’m located in India where the job profiles for undergrads aren’t good. Most of the jobs are back end KPO roles. Does it make sense for me (2016 BBA Finance Grad) to complete a MSc. in Finance so that I get somewhat better job profiles and can then begin to garner work experience for an MBA? My other option is to continue working for 2 years or so in these ****** profiles before going for an MBA.

There’s no point getting a masters in finance and MBA. Total overkill.

What was your final grade in your degree? Was it high enough to get into a masters?

Yes… 3.51 GPA. What do you propose?

Apply to some good quality masters courses. If you get accepted, then I think that is a smart option for you although you will need to consider a cost/benefit analysis. These programmes can be very expensive. If you are going abroad, you need to consider visa situation etc. US and UK becoming more hostile to foreign workers unfortunately.

Even with ridiculous H1B restrictions (which is a BIG if, and for all you know it might end up favoring advanced degree students over direct imported labor from abroad), you’d still get 1 year of OPT work permit, followed by a STEM extension (get a minor in stats to be eligible). So I wouldn’t base your or anyone’s decision to shy away from an advanced degree in the US yet. Not to mention, US Masters programs can be very generous with funding with a mix of TA/RA/fellowships.

So should I proceed with Masters in Finance programs or try for MBAs that don’t emphasize on work experience?

Don’t do a bad MBA, it’s a waste of time and money. Top 20 could be a good idea but without decent work experience even those will be a little tough. One-year masters is a good choice just remember to find a good one, I can think of a few such as Vanderbilt 's just got STEM certification, but it’s a hard program to get into.

^From what I have seen the Mfin programs are very different in nature. Princeton requires the applicants to have taken linear algebra and advanced probability theory stuff while still being a Master of Finance and not MFE, whereas other programs take liberal art majors into consideration as well.

OP duke and UVA have very good one year general management programs in which you pick finance as your concentration. Both have very good placement records FYI with UVA getting slightly ahead. I would also look for Masters in accounting since the Big4 Will most likely sponsor a visa if you don’t have a GC or such.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, continental Europe is not a very job-friendly land for foreigners. Just to give you an idea, all my friends coming from India who completed the master in Finance I did (top 5 FT ranking) had to go back to India after graduation due to visa issues.

US is much more friendlier than UK in that regard…

What kind of roles can I expect after completion of a Masters in Finance? Surely it won’t be as bad as a back end finance KPO job?

^ Don’t you know the simple fact that a Masters from LSE is very different to a hacksaw university no one has ever heard of ?

^ Thank you. Was considering the program at IE Business School.