Junior V&RC Transversal Services and Controls Officer at BNP Paribas

Good morning everyone,

I am going to an interview at BNP Paribas. I have just recently finished my master’s program and I am not very familiar with the professional world.

Could I get your insights on the job description and its main functions?

The description of job position is as follows:

V&RC Transversal Services and Control is part of Global Markets and ALMT Operation Product Control. The team regroups transversal tasks dedicated to Portfolios Referential Management and Transversal Profit &Loss:

RESPONSIBILITIES The mandate to the team is mainly to :  Administrate the Portfolio referential  Support various teams (business, risk, finance) in the creation or modification of Portfolios  Reconcile data referential between different systems  Book in the Profit and Loss tool some component like Market Fees for all Global Markets activities  Validate some specific Profit and Loss  Communicate to the various P&L team when we act transversally for them

Thank you very much for your time

What the f is this.

Not sure if English.

I just copied the job description and posted it here. Maybe you are not familiar with the terms used just like me.

Thanks

Had to look up the word “transversally” but sounds like a central back office type of role, is this the best offer you have? Sounds miserable.

I’m unfamiliar with the terms yes, but that’s because these are likely not standard industry words, and this description was probably even written by an ESL person (cough… the French). The only thing that is clear is that it’s some kind of operations role, where you would be doing PnL recons.

Unfortunately, this was the offer they had available for me. Basically, BNP shifted some operations to my country (Portugal) because here they pay lower wages (around 1k EUR) for Finance students with master’s degrees.

As I have almost no professional experience, I thought this could be a good start. At least the bank is well positioned.

Thanks for your help and insights.

How long ago did you graduate? I wouldn’t worry about no offer until at least 6-9 months. You will be miserable after 6 months guaranteed by then it would be extremely difficult to get out.

I graduated 1 month.

Today, I went to a skype interview with the english team of the department, the team that operates in London. They told me that this area has nothing to do with finance and given the fact that my master is in finance, this job position might not be what I am looking for.

As I have little professional experience I could not tell, by looking at the job description, if the position had anything to do with finance. I just accepted the fact that I have little to no professional experience and that this could be a good start. However, they told me that even if I get this position I have to show my commitment during 2 years. It does not seem logical to me to invest 2 years of my time in something that has nothing to do with finance.

The human resources team in Lisbon is in fault here. They should have explained the position better and checked that my curriculum is a better fit in a finance-related team.

Thanks for your time

Call me

maybe