Investments Careers in LA?

I’m an analyst (generalist focus) at an institutional non-profit ($1B+) in the New England area with 4 years of experience. I’m getting my MBA part-time at a regional graduate school in the area and have passed Level III of the CFA exam . I graduate next year (2018) and I’m thinking about relocating to the Los Angeles area at that time.

I enjoy working for an institutional investor due to the work/life balance and would be fine pursuing a similar role in LA. However, I am also curious to hear what other Investment roles would be relatively appealing in LA (it’s finance industry is certainly no NYC) and would be somewhat compatible with my experience working for a non-profit.

Any advice for places/roles to begin networking as I start gearing up for graduation? Literally any feedback would be appreciated.

Oaktree Capital Management?

Western AM, Ivory Capital, Goldman PWM, Guggenheim, PIMCO, etc…

I’d go for DoubleLine. Learn from the bond king.

Thank you all for the suggestions! As I currently don’t work in Asset Management, would I be able to move from doing manager research for a non-profit to actual asset management work? Or should I try and pursue an IR role at an Asset Manager?

There are quite a few endowments in Cali that you can hit up but as far as switching to fundamental research from manager research there won’t be too much transferrable skills. I think your best bet is to go for some sort of FoF role or like you said IR role unless you get very lucky. You will also have to start over at an analyst level if you want to switch to fundamental research so that’s also something to think about but I think that’s worth it in the long-term.

TCW, HWCM