How to Successfully Relocate and Transition Jobs

Hey Guys,

I need some advice on how to successfully relocate to Southern California. I am a CFA Charterholder, a CFP Certificant, and I have an MBA (finance) from a regionally reputable school. I have three years of experience working as an investment analyst for an RIA. Not only do I want to move states but I also want to move into an analyst role at a large asset management firm (PIMCO, TCW, etc.). I would like some input on what I should be doing and whether or not I have a chance to get into institutional asset management. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, why wouldn’t you have a chance? I mean PIMCO Front Office might be a stretch/tougher. I looked at TCW a couple weeks ago and they do not seem as prestigous so I think you would have a good shot. Why Southern California though? People are leaving there in droves, well LA anyway.

Just curious, why are people leaving LA?

Supposedly it is expensive and job prospects are not as good as other places, like northern California.

Well, the reason I’m asking is because I’ve done the whole song and dance of applying through various companies’ websites and I haven’t got any call backs at all. I’m thinking of what I could be doing ‘wrong’ but I can’t find anything. The only thing I keep coming back to is the address on my resume is my current address and not a California address. So i’m thinking that companies’ are just overlooking my resume because they think that I need relocation assistance plus it’s just more logistically difficult to interview an out of state candidate. What do you think; are companies seeing me as a more expensive hire which is causing them to pass on me?

^DING DING DING!! Not so much about the relocation assistance stuff and being more expensive, but you are a less desirable candidate simply bc you are out of state. Why would they want to be bothered with any of the logistics of just bringing you in to interview? To get serious about a relocation like this, you simply must bite the bullet and move before finding a job. That will prove you are serious, rather than just dipping your toe in the water.

It is. I know several people (in the entertainment industry) that live there and not only is the cost of living high for everything from gasoline to a gallon of milk, but the state government is in shambles and you are taxed on EVERYTHING. This includes your paycheck and whatever nice annual bonus you think you will be getting.

Plus the traffic, is no joke, the worst on the planet. In fact, I think it was recently ranked as so in forbes/fortune, one of those.

Omg, yeah man. Take the current address off there. You will NEVER get called back with an out of state address. Do you know anyone out there? If so, use their address, say you are staying with them or something, currently looking for an apt. If they say, “Oh, well can you come in for an interview?” tell them you need a few days then get a plane ticket out there. Sucks you will probably have to eat that cost if you don’t get hired but I agree that you being out of state is really a detriment if you are looking for analyst even associate level roles.

I had a feeling that I would need to relocate before finding a job. It’s going to be tough. I have some thinking and planning to do!

Thanks! I do have people out there that I know. I will use their address and see if it changes anything.