Considering the following colleges for Masters in Finance programs. Need advice/insights.

I’m a 22 year old Indian BBA (Finance) grad looking to pursue a Masters in Finance program in Ireland in one of the following colleges. I have 6 months of experience in an Investment Banking KPO which is why I’m not considering MBA programs.

Maynooth - MA Finance

Dublin Business School - MSc in International Accounting & Finance

DIT - Msc Banking and Finance

University of Limerick - MSc in Financial Services

Was hoping for further insights on these programs.

Why Ireland?

No one will have insight on those schools since no one’s heard of them probably… What made you choose those?

I’m also considering the following programs in UK:

Nottingham Trent University (https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/courses/find-your-course/business/pg/2017-18/finance)

Oxford Brookes University (https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/finance/)

And another one in Ireland:

University College Cork - MSc in Corporate Finance (https://www.ucc.ie/en/ckl21/)

One reason I’ve chosen Ireland is because it has colleges that accepts students with 15 years of education for masters programs compared to US/Canada,

I visited a career counselor and was suggested these colleges in UK for my level of work experience (under a year) and 15 years of education (12 in school + 3 years for BBA).

I heard that in Canada, top MBA programs require 16 years of college education and even then there’s no point going for an MBA because during placements, candidates with more work experience would be given priority.

Isn’t that everywhere? An MFin/MBA isn’t going to magically change that

MFin is particularly for candidates with relatively less work experience (like a year or two) so better chances of landing a job than in an MBA.

I see 0 value in those Ireland programs. Just keep working.

Damn. I wonder why the career counselor would suggest these schools. The counseling was free of charge. Wonder if they get a commission from these sets of schools. Don’t see how else they run their business.

Was just going over the rankings here (http://www.webometrics.info/en/Europe/Ireland%20)

and noticed that although they are not ranked high globally, most of them are ranked quite high domestically in Ireland. So would you say these colleges make sense if I were to settle in Ireland?

What are fees like for non-EU students? Do you have good grades from your undergrad? I would explore funding options when you are looking at different options. Any chance of a scholarship or at least partial funding for instance?

In general, Americans look to get a few years work experience before going back to complete an MBA. In Europe, it is much more common to go straight from undergrad to a Masters although MBA courses are becoming more common. If you intend to work in the EU and the cost is not prohibitive, then a Masters makes sense.

Of the colleges you listed, I think all those in the Irish top 10 rankings would be fine. You would probably have the best time living in either Dublin or Oxford, but they are also the most expensive places to live of those you have listed.

Fees range from 13k to 15k Euros. My undergrad GPA is 3.51. The problem is, even though these Irish colleges are in the top 10, I cannot find any placement statistics on their website.

No placement information is a big nono, always check that before you apply… and check placement for internationals like yourself. You can always just grab a phone and call admissions office as well.

Yes it’s weird that these colleges are ranked in the top 10 domestically and still not much placement info. I’ve sent them an email. Let’s see…

And the weird trend continues. UNSW which ranked high for its Finance and Accounting programs also does not offer industry placements (https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/degrees-courses/postgraduate/masters/financial-analysis#FAQs)

consider this

Image result for hacksaw gif

yes. also, consider this

Another thing I’ve noticed is that most MFin programs (be it at IE or UNSW) do not offer job placements. They have a career/student services office to help out in seeking internships and jobs but I’m wondering if they suffice?

Are you just looking to get placed after completing your course?

I may be assuming things here, but so far from your posts, it seems like you are looking for a free ride. You seem a bit impatient and seem like you could get into the {no job>study more>no job> study more} viscous cycle which is worse than it seems.

Also, why exactly are you planning on going for a Master’s program? What kind of value is it going to provide to you? Do you have a certain profession or a job role that you desire to obtain that would require a Master’s?

If you really want to get placed that bad then look to get into a really good Master’s program. It will be difficult but its better than aiming for a mediocre program and then being disappointed that nobody cares about your qualification. Because in reality, the qualification will only get you an interview, but if you are incompetent, it won’t keep you there.

Your best bet would be to work and just see where it goes from there. A Master’s Program will not magically get you anything.

Even with your current qualification, I doubt it is impossible to find a job. Also, work experience > qualifications.

It might help him get a visa though. I’m making an assumption here, but an Indian landing in the EU or Australia might find it hard to get a visa. If you have been offered a job following an internship arranged by a university, perhaps it is easier to stay on. Is that part of the attraction dejavu?