Turning down job offers

Let’s say you go through round after round of interviews with multiple firms. When they ask, you tell them you are talking with multiple co’s. You get a couple offers… what the best way to turn one down without them blacklisting you or having any bad blood? What do you tell them?

Last time I was in this situation, I played the offers off one another, told them I was interested if they’d work on the numbers and got a couple bumps. Took the highest to the co i wanted, which got them to bump and accepted. Really, really pissed some people off (I just told them i decided to go a different route) so trying to strategize and figure out if there’s a proper way to do it. Asking for a friend…

I personally only would haggle with the job I plan on taking. The way you approached it is very different from my style, but maybe you’d end up earning more.

Yeah, my friend used to do that whole playing one co against the other strategy, ended up pissing a WHOLE lot of people off and almost got the school blacklisted. I usually only haggle with the company never play them against each other.

The last company offer that I turned down I referred to the hiring manager two excellent candidates whom I knew and heavily promoted. They each received offers from the company and one of them accepted. Everyone was happy.

Yeah, I’d never recommend my original technique… it’s a small world and better to maintain your reputation. Those people in the rounds of interviews could go to other companies and they will remember what you did.

that’s a great idea.

I think if you reject employers with the same language employers reject applicants with, you should be OK. I would recommend people for smaller organizations, but I doubt I’d do that for a large employer. Since they probably have a list behind me of backups and have more structure in hiring

I think it is ok to leverage one job offer against another as long as you don’t mislead anyone about accepting any position. You can say to employer A that employer B is offering more, and that you are undecided but would like to know if employer A has any flexibility. That’s just being honest.

I usually just ghost them, works for everyone. Their feelings aren’t hurt and I avoid the awkward “I’m just not into you” conversation.

What does it mean to ghost them?

^ Not replying either way. Just ignore.