How likely find job - No research experience (edited)

I have 7 years of experience in various financial roles (1 year at VC, 4 years at a neuroscience startup, 2 years in FP&A for a 1,000 employee logistics company). I didn’t attend an Ivy League but went to a well known university, BU, and have a bachelor in Finance.

I’d love to get into Private Equity/Research which was one of the main deciding drivers in pursuing the CFA.

Any thoughts on how challenging it might be to land a job in the above mentioned fields with no relevant prior work experience? (once I hopefully complete all 3 CFA exams)

CFA has nothing to do with IB.

CFA has nothing to do with career changes. Check out gmatclub.com for career changes.

Also, considering you have 7 years of experience as FP&A/Finance Manager, you’d be taking a big pay cut by going into IB. Not to mention you’d be slaving away hours being an excel b!tchboy for someone your age - IF you get the job.

Thank you for the quick responses.

What about Portfolio Manager/Research Analyst positions considering no prior experience in those fields either?

Ha, I doubt it about the pay cut, I’m in the last stage of receiving my green card (hopefully in 6 - 8 months) which has been a big limitation in my career advancement/pay potential opportunities. That’s why I’m hoping a CFA + Green Card would improve my chances of landing a better position with growth opportunities.

MBA

Food cart is where it’s at nowadays. Roti on Wheels, my idea - don’t steal. Tanks.

sounds like a perfect time for a GMAT. Good stuff in the GMAT world especially in the +700 circle.

Have seen so many people change their careers 180 degrees with a top20 MBA in the US. Sure it takes long time and yes, it is very expensive but hey you get what you paid for right?

Not only will you gain tangible assets - knowledge, increased salary, and new career - but you will also gain intangible assets - new friends and higher caliber network, and elevated self worth - that will only accrue forever. After all, high percentage of jobs are introduced by someone we know. Doesn’t hurt to know bunch of people from a top20 MBA program not to mention the professors and access to the career center.

CFA + green card is solid combo.

These are all helpful inputs.

To summarize, I would like to move into Research Analysis/Portfolio Management regardless of whether I have a CFA or not, but the main thing holding me back right now (and for past couple of years) is my work visa sponsorship which basically restricts me from working for other employers, unless they sponsor my work visa (which is usually not something companies would be willing to do).

I figured that while I am waiting for my green card, a CFA designation (hopefully) will improve my chances of getting interviews for positions in the above mentioned fields (plus I love Finance in general so I actually enjoy studying for the CFA).

Am I wrong to think that? Is an MBA a MUST in order to get into that field? I wouldn’t mind even taking a pay cut because I believe that I’ll have much better career advancement opportunities in that field compared to where I currently am.

bro - much wisdom.