Advice on how best to counter

So I am using a recruiter unfortunately for this position, got a solid offer a nice bump in pay and all in itll be a pretty significant. Always been told you should at least counter, what do you guys do? A certain % above their offer or what?

How does the pay compare with the range in that market for that position? I usually use that information to argue where I believe I fit along that range and how it is above the current offer.

I always counter.

If I get an offer and they know and I know it’s fair, I go for a bump. So I’ll say something like “hey, can we round the number up to $x?” Even if it’s for $5k, if they push back, I’ll come at them with “ah come on, it’s like $100/week, what… $20/day, come on, ya’ll can spare that! I’m being reasonable!” If you can get them to smile and laugh, they’ll go to bat for you. You have to have a good read on the person and know when to stop but I’ve never lost anything by trying.

When i was a level iii candidate, one thing I would say is, “if I pass this exam, you won’t have to worry about reimbursing exam fees or my mind being off somewhere else a few months before june.”

If it’s a bigger bump you want, you really have to tell them why. You have to do your research, present them a solid case, and be ready to walk if they say no (or at least appear that way, while also acting very interested in their company at the same time). It’s all about convincing them that the offer is below market.

That’s my experience anyways, curious what others do.

Thanks guys. The offer isn’t outside the norm for salary on a position like a this here based on research, and I wouldn’t particularly be disappointed it they don’t bump it up any. Just have always heard the adage you should always negotiate, so figure I’ll see if I can get another 5k or so. It’s having to go through a recruiter that makes this awkward I’d rather deal with the hiring manager

Even better that it’s a recruiter, after they said they’d try, I’d find some way to say “awesome, really grateful, I got a couple colleagues who may be looking soon, will definitely send them your way!”

Congratulations on the new job! I’m waiting to hear back from my final interview as well and hope to be in the same position as you are.

If I do get offered the position I will counter with splitting the difference from the offer to the high-end of the bracket for the position. For example, if the market range is $180-200k and they come in at 190k I’ll ask for 195k. This usually works for me and doesn’t seem too greedy.

How do you present this? Do you disclose this as the methodology or do you just ask for the bump based on the analysis?

i would not use that line lol

Raw, I just ask for the bump but if they say “no” I’ll ask for a few days to think about the offer. This gets them thinking you might reject their offer. On the final phone call, I’ll ask again with a few bullet points to justify the raise. So far I’ve had a lot of success in getting a better starting salary.

Lol asked for the bump, got rejected. Oh well still a pretty nice all in pay bump and I dont have much leverage in this scenario as I am going into an area where I dont have a ton of expertise. Bonus payout seems to be a few months earlier than I get at my current firm as well so cant complain there

Well, at least you tried. Good luck on the new job Yayyy!

Yea certainly doesnt hurt to ask and im in no worse a position. Good luck on your interview & negotiations as well!

Its hard to counter with recruiters, they just want you to sign.

Congrats on the new job!

Were you able to keep a straight face while trying to negotiate for $5k more? LMFAO.

GJ Yayy. Back when I frist got into the industry I made the mistake of discussing pay with an HR recruiter before meeting with the hiring manager. Worst mistake you can make. Pretty solid advice from HP. I’m sure Numi could give you the best advice… for a fee of course.