Moving for a job

So I recently got a job offer. It is in a very small City which is a 2.5 hour drive to the closest city. The job seems to be what I want to do but I’m just concerned about the distance. It will be 9 hour travel time from family and my girlfriend of 2 years. I believe I got this offer so fast because I was the one or part of a few that applied. This would be my first entry job in banking. What do you guys think of accepting a job that is so far from a major city? My opinion is I would like the job but would not like the area. Please let me know your thoughts. :slightly_smiling_face:

A job in banking outside of the city? What kind of banking is this?

Haha it’s a smaller local bank. The job is for a credit analyst.

If the money is good enough, marry your girl, take her with you.

The one time I took ACE’s advice, I woke up naked in the forest surrounded by wolves.

What ohai isn’t telling you is that he had a fantasy to dance with wolves, naked.

Haha! I think I made up my mind to accept. The experience would be too good to pass up.

you’ll probably have to grind some long hours.

such an 80s thought process…you assume the girl is a no career, stay at home mom…wow lmao

I officially accepted the job!! I’m going with the mindset of learning all I can for 6 months and seeing how I feel!

Not exactly, most girls I date would rather be with me and move with me than anything else they have going on. Also, hes been with her 2 years? Thats a long time. If I was with a girl for 2 years I think she would have to be marriage material.

Okay fair enough. I was shallow minded on my part. Apologies.

The girls I have dated would be against moving to a very small city in the middle of nowhere, which means she would say good bye to her career, career goals and ambitions, friends, and family. Now if I were going to say Nebraska to head some energy company and pull in 2mm a year, that’s a different story. In this case, yes, most girls (not all) would follow me to the no man’s land and give up HER dreams.

9 hrs to the nearest job interview…

As my dad says, barefoot and pregnant. The olddddd school : X

Yea, it is a far opportunity but it would be my foot in the industry. All the banks in my surrounding area require experience but nobody wants to let you start. I look at the positives, I will learn a large amount of relevant information no matter how long I am there. My girlfriend and I have been apart for summers and she is 100% supportive even though it is not the easy choice. I will have to focus on the long term benefits, by having this job for an extended period of time (6 months +) I become more marketable than someone who has no experience. I plan to go for 6 months and see how I feel, if I am feeling well I will really try and go for the 1 year.

I think it was in my favor that it is a isolated location, not a lot of people willing to move.

how isolated is this?

alaska?

Well it’s 2.5 hours from the closest city, travel time to go home is roughly 9 hours. Even though the miles isn’t that bad, no direct flights makes it difficult.

wow this must be really in the middle of no where. Just work and save money and in 2 years come back to the big city with knowledge and experience.

What gets me nervous is people saying stay for 2 years or even 3 years. What are your guys opinion on going for 6 months and using that to “test the waters”. I may love the job, I may hate it, I may love the area, I may hate it. If i think I can stay there longer then do so, but if I am miserable I am always free to leave at any time. No matter how long I will be there I will have learned a lot of relevant experience.

Thoughts?