Gross and Net Profit adjustments

Hi guys. I am attempting to apply the knowledge from level 2 CFA Equity by doing a complete analysis of a few companies. I have not done this before and didn’t take long and I am stuck under FSA. I have with me financial reports for two public companies and each presents me with different problems.

1. Apple - the Income statement omits depreciation/amortization altogether. What is the recommended treatment for this? Should I attempt to include it in the Income Statement?

2. Food ingredient manufacturing - the flow of income statement is as follow:

Revenue

Other revenue

Change of inventories

Raw mat

Finished goods (purchased)

Employee Benefits

Depreciation PP&E

Other operating expense

Profit before tax

There is no Gross Profit sub total before other expense, it then went to EBIT, Tax and Net Profit.

i) I am considering to rearrange all the items to attempt to get a Gross Profit.

ii) These will be before Gross Profit (change in inventories, raw mat, finished goods)

iii) These will be after Gross Profit (Employee benefits expense, Depreciation PP&E, other operating expense)

iv) Then add back Other Revenue (consisting of rental and interest income, gains of PP&E and derivatives)

Anyone who is learning analysis and financial modeling can get in touch so that we can share our learning.