My subordinate is about to get fired

So, I like the guy and all, and we went to the same military school (he was 10yrs behind me).

He has been giving my boss (the COO) a bunch of attitude lately and generally sucks at every task.

I kind of would prefer him not to get fired because he is literally making me look like a super human. He deflects like everything.

Then again, if he does get fired I could easily pick up the slack and possibly take 50% of his salary on top of my current salary.

Should I just go into negotiation mode for a salary bump if COO cuts him loose? I would almost be happy with even small bump. I currently almost make double what my subordinate makes.

How much you make, $150k? And your boss is some COO who has $10 millions to spend dropping on charities. This guy can make you millions if he wanted to. Don’t mess it up by being petty a few months into your job about small salary increases. You have to tell this cat “don’t worry boss, I got yo back”. He will remember it, and if you do a good job and he is not a dickhole, you’ll get paid later. Not everything is a pump and dump boy.

just hire another schmuck that will make you look good.

agree with ohai dont try to be petty. also your friend/boss might be testing you out to see how you react.

maybe your boss wants you to give this cat another chance and show your boss you can run a team.

btw why is he giving your friend/boss attitude?

We were in office today and usually stay till 7. We were there till 8 and subordinate thought he was better than whole team and was bitching to leave.

Im honestly pretty dedicated to task at hand. We needed to finish task for COO.

Like really though my subordinate is obviously good at nothing. COO has asked me multiple times where he can be placed, but it’s pretty clear if he puts him under another manager they will be pissed.

what job does he do and why is he so bad at it?

Have you told this guy that he sucks and his job is in jeopardy? I’ve heard about young workers doing a 180 degrees after their senior kicks their ass. He thinks he is the shit because all young people get is “positive reinforcement”, and so are spineless in the face of real criticism. If I were you, I would have a stern talk with this person and give them a last chance before termination. Turning around an unproductive resource will show that you are valuable as a manager.

Honestly, the COO and I think he is retarded. Avoiding HR requirements and all. He has ADHD and isn’t taking meds. On top of that he only got a 3.0 in undergrad and seems like he has a 90 IQ. Let me put this in perspective. COO gave task today for analytics. Simple task. I could have completed in less than 3 min. Highlight cells, ctrl n, new sheet, save , excel type of shi.t. Took subordinate more than 30 min. Keep in mind im learning from him so I have to sit there like a monkey and twittle my thumbs while I watch his slow mofo azz on excel. COO comes back, is like what are yall doing … subordinate gives blank face and continues to do the most inefficient crap on excel. He doesn’t even complete task correctly. Like its f’ed up and late.

Like this is basic sh.it you learn in college. He can’t even use outlook. I was on his side as an alum for weeks but now it looks better if he hits the curb.

he knows he sucks - coo even makes fun of him at exec meetings

coo has approached me 4-5 times in 3 weeks trying to fire him…

I’m just curious. Why does he think he is better than a whole team? He isn’t good in Excel but may be good in other tasks? If not, you should help him to get out of his delusion before firing him. He won’t change if he still thinks he’s good.

PS: I remember the days when I did my internship. I knew nothing about Excel or VBA but the boss demanded me to upgrade an ALM model developed by the team (It’s the subject of my 6-month internship). After 1 month, I cleared it and people, even in other teams, went to me to ask all kind of VBA problems they stuck.

The new co worker might lose her job too. Which is unfortunate cuz she’s hot, and she tries really hard. I’m actually defending her cuz she’s really nice. But she spends too much time writing emails for silly things and I think she fibbs a lot to cover up the fuck ups. Instead of owning up to it.