Looking to transition, and it's crickets out there

Thanks for looking,

I’m currently a Fed regulator at a money center bank in NYC. Essentially, I work solely on wholesale credit (think big leveraged deals, O&G, real estate), but only from a back-end analysis perspective (mostly from 35,000 feet, i.e. portfolio analysis perspective). I’ve also done some work on banking policy. I’ve been doing this 6 years, but only 3 at the big bank. While at this job, I started working toward the CFA in order to enhance my skills and try to seem more marketable to employers, although I’m realizing that this latter aspect is not likely to occur.

I’ve begun to grow tired of how mundane the job has become, so I’ve started to look elsewhere. I’ve mostly been applying to positions involved with credit risk management, but have also looked into, essentially, anything credit related, including analysts, distressed debt, and consulting. But that’s just the problem, I never get any responses to any jobs I’ve applied for (and I’ve applied for about 75); no calls, no emails, nothing. I keep seeing people posting about recruiters blowing up their LinkedIn, but I’ve never even received anything of the sort since I opted to open myself up to that avenue. Am I that much of a kryptonite to these positions?

Would anyone recommend I have a “professional” review my resume? Unfortunately, my network in this city sucks because I went to a Midwestern school better known for athletics than academics, and people at my agency tend to stick around forever.

Barring leaving, I’ve strongly considered just going back to school to get my MBA, and changing careers. I’d like to work in asset management (like the leveraged desk at an asset manager), distressed debt fund, or consulting. Unfortunately, this prospect is still at least a year off.

Thanks for your knowledge.

You could go to law school and join a firm that services financial institutions. With your background, you should be able to step in “above your weight class” compared to MBA or other alternatives.

You are probably applying for the wrong jobs. Reviewing credit versus doing it can be different (not always!) You have to know how people will perceive your resume and realize hardly anyone except former regulators have much idea how your job differs from the CFPB. The easiest transition will be regulatory consulting or in loan review type functions. The other are going to require networking, luck, and pursuing experience in addition to your current job to stand out.