Downplaying experience to target junior level positions

Unfortunately I have been an underachiever… With 8 years experience my career is sh*t

With that said, my resume looks a lot more impressive if I exclude the first 4 years and make it seem like im a 25-26 year old (level 3 candidate!)… My plan is to keep everything factually correct on my resume but just not include a college graduation date (through clever formatting). Im also leaving out that I got an international MBA which has been completely worthless.

In the past four years I actually did work as a sell side equity research analyst (2 years) but I made a big mistake moving to my current role which has been a dead end (credit research at a third rate bank)… I have the skills and will do fine in interview but just need a good chance. My goal is to work at a top tier firm but worried I will be disqualified for being (too old/ with too much baggage). Compensation is not a problem since my current salary is low and likely consistent with a good junior role.

What do you think of my plan? Will it work?

sure why not. as long as you’re cool with the salary

i flat out lied about the work i did for two years as soon as i graduated from college. i was self learning stuff and just put that in the CV along with the original company name.

anyway, some recruiter called hr for a reference without asking me and they were just like uhhhhh. he calls me back and hes like j no one know what you did and im just like yeah man it was an ‘experimental’ role, i was working alone. never heard from him. i wonder why

pro tip : get some mates to do you reference checks and clue them up before hand if you’re fibbing

why not just move to the place you got your mba from? where was it?

I would rather be a (first year analyst) at a major hedge fund then a mid level AVP at some third rate firm(which is what I am now). Those HFs or a place like GS/MS would never give me a chance in hell because i’m old and have “baggage”… BUT If I can make it appear that ive only been out of college for a few years (3-4) with just my most recent work experience they would consider me for some good junior roles that have solid growth potential. I come in for an interview and knock the questions out of the park with knowledge “beyond my years” would make me look like a superstar… no?

You need to reset your CV. If it were me, I would quit and get a 1y MS or even MFE at as prestigious a university as possible. If you’re making entry level compensation as mentioned, you have very little opportunity cost. There is no escaping the past 3-4 years history in a dead end job; you can only focus on moving to something incrementally more presentable. You have essentially no chance of entering an analyst or associate program at a top end firm as is.

Sounds stupid to me.

I think it can make sense.

If someone worked 6 years in compliance (for example) and then by luck(or whatever) was moved to a real front office analyst role> I think there is a case that including the compliance role on the resume could be perceived negatively. You might disqualify yourself from roles looking for someone with just a few years of “analyst” experience.

The resume would look sharper just focusing on current role.