PE/VC jobs in Phoenix Area

I’m currently a CFA level III Candidate who recently left my job. I’m looking for something in Private equity or Venture capital. I live in Phoenix, AZ and would prefer stay in this city. Looking for help from my analyst forum colleagues. If you guys know of any funds that are actively hiring let me know. Phoenix isn’t exactly known for being a financial hot spot.

Also, I’m wondering the best way to approach this. Because, of the lack of actively hiring firms, I’m thinking of just waltzing into their offices and handing them my resume (maybe with an investment thesis or a model to show I can do the work) and telling them that even if they aren’t hiring I’d like to be on their radar. Let me know if you guys think this is a good idea or not. If you guys have a better way to approach it let me know.

What is your background?

I just turned 24.I went to a non-target school. Didn’t major in anything finance-related. Worked for one of the large indexers for a year and a half and I left because there was no analytical work for a CFA candidate to do there. My college GPA is not impressive either (3.3).

All of that makes me sound like the unimpressive candidate for a high finance role, but I have read and taught myself so much and do manage my own micro-cap portfolio. I know I can do the work.

Also, I did intern one summer for a PE firm

I went to some wild strip club in Phoenix called bandaids

Put it on your resume

Have you asked the PE firm you interned at if there are any entry level roles? That seems like your best route.

At this point, with the resume you described, it will be very difficult to get a position in a PE/VC firm without some personal connection.

I think you should broaden your horizons though. You mention that you manage a micro-cap portfolio for your PA. That would not be directly applicable experience for PE/VC but might help you get an interview in an asset management firm focusing on public equities.

Are you employed at the moment? I’m not sure if I would hire someone who quit the job without having any other job offer. That’s a red flag.

PE is the most competitive place to get into and you are probably competing with people who have too MBA and years of work experience in banking and finance.

The only way you can get into is networking with people who are involved in decision making process at the firm.

what kind of PE firm are we talking about here…

PE firm as in real estate investment firm or venture fund?

There are way more real estate investment PE firms out there than venture funds. RE PE funds also have much lower barrier of entry than that of venture funds or hedge funds. Also, smaller RE PE funds have front and ops kind of mixed into one role as either real estate analyst or acquisitions analyst. No idea of Phoenix area other than fun golf courses. Heard there are tons of RE PE firms in Southern CA area. Northern CA specifically in the SFO has tons of venture PE firms.

The strategy with the highest success chance, in my opinion, would have been to stick with some job where you can BS the responsibilities, then aim for Rank 10 or so MBA to level the playing field with more competitive candidates. MBA is one place you can “reset” your career search, since essay writing, recommendation letters and GMAT, and thus part of your admissions potential, are not directly dependent on past academic mediocrity. The $200k cost is also a good way to remove better applicants from the pool, so you won’t compete directly with them.

If not that, then you should focus on small companies where they might give you a chance for low pay if they like your personality and are not conducting comprehensive searches. Such companies also tend to be more flexible with the actual work you do, since they have fewer specialized employees. You should be comfortable cold calling and receiving many rejections. Larger firms will target a more specific candidate profile, which I do not think you have for the jobs you want.

Agree with many of the above comments that this is going to be a (very) steep uphill battle. You should also be able to explain why you want to be in PE and the skills you’re bringing to the table. Remember that CFA is not highly valued in the PE world.

Also agree that networking is the only way forward and randomly showing up at offices isn’t likely to yield much. My recommendation would be to start attending ACG events. Phoenix likely has a local chapter, and this will be your best bet to get in a room full of PE-types.

Plus one to this. ACG attendance is a good idea