Endowments

Does anyone have experience working in endowments or foundations? I would be much appreciative of any information - please help your fellow brethren.

My coworker worked for an endowment at a rank 5-10 ish university. His story is that it is cushy, leave at 4pm… Not sure if all places are like that.

What’s the role? How big is the endowment?

My grandmother worked as an admin assistant in the Notre Dame endowment office. She said Scott Malpass is a real G, but they totally dog the analysts. Long hours, though not as long as some banking gigs. But they always have to come in Sundays too, at least to show face. I think Notre Dame is top 10.

Endowment staff coming in on Sundays? I am really surprised by that! Most endowment roles would be more like what Ohai described from my experience.

Maybe Notre Dame do a lot of direct investing so come up against deal deadlines. But even then, I can’t imagine there is really any need to be working regularly on weekends.

Is being a real G a good thing or a bad thing by the way? Never heard that expression before!

The capital allocators podcast seeks these guys out and interviews them. Since they tend not to be rockstars like Buffet or Ackman, it seems like many go unnoticed. May be a good source of info, depending on the interview and what you want to know.

It’s an expression of respect.

Is this still relevant? I can be of some help here… PM me if you’re still looking for color on the industry.