Advice Needed

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some advice for my next move in my career… any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 26 years old

• BS Finance

• MBA Creighton University (paid by former employer)

• Level III CFA candidate

• 2 years work experience as a Commercial Insurance Underwriter

• 2 years work experience as a Commercial Credit Underwriter for a $5b local bank (current position)

I’m currently located in Tampa, FL. I would like to transition into an equity research role and eventually become a portfolio manager… I have made some connections but am having difficulty breaking into the industry.

Assuming I pass Level III next June what should I do to further advance my career? I’ve tossed around the idea of going the CPA route to expand my financial statement knowledge and develop a deep understand on how each financial statement ties to one another.

I’ve also considered committing 6 months - 12 months to getting into a top 10 MBA program; does it matter that I already have a MBA?

Get a Masters in Data Science from a reputable program, then combine your domain knowledge and experience (albeit limited) with your newfound programming & data science skills – and you might then be a viable candidate for a junior PM role at a quantitatively-oriented asset management firm like BlackRock.

http://www.lu123.com/Home.html

Shouldn’t have done that MBA at Creighton, it adds little to no value. Could always apply to a bunch of top 20 MBAs and see what you get. Very hard to move from underwriting to ss and bs research.