please critique my resume

any comments or suggestions appreciated… i knows its not very good and my experience is weak. ive been an underachiever and starting to panic with my career prospects. current job is a dead end and i made a big mistake accepting this role. only positive is that i speak a foreign language and have experience working in latam region which is sort of a niche. i regret moving to my current role almost 3 years ago as it has been a dead end and i left a better job (in hindsight).

experience—

Third Tier Foreign Bank USA (2.5 years in current role )

AVP Credit Research

• AnaIyst resp0nsible for c0vering Iatin America infrastructure c0rp0rates in the materiaIs, energy, and utiIities sect0rs supporting a project finance Iending gr0up
    • Performed financial statement anaIysis and developed dynamic spreadsheet models to forecast cash fl0w and earnings while m0nitoring portf0lio exposure
    • Followed rep0rting schedules and reIevant events of over fifty companies relaying analysis acr0ss global bank offices and muItiple internal stakeholders
  • Prepared credit mem0randa presenting investment 0pinion to credit committee and senior management assisting in deaI transaction
  • Traveled internationaIIy for company visits and industry c0nferences; regularly meeting and interviewing c0mpany representatives for investment due diligence

Global “Fin Tech” company USA (2 years)

AVP Equity Research Analyst

• Responsible for anaIyzing materials and energy sect0r publicly traded companies providing equity research service for institutional clients
    • Performed fundamentaI bottom-up financial statement analysis incorporating valuation methods incIuding: discounted cash flow, sum-of-parts, c0mparable company analysis, and ratio anaIysis to formulate investment opinions
  • Promoted t0 Assistant Vice President and team manager after one year
    • lnitiated coverage directly leading t0 department revenue growth
    • Trained new analysts with proprietary systems work fIow and research technique

300m AUM Asset Management Firm in foreign country (2 years)

• Supported day to day trading operation of small-cap equity mutual fund progressing from internship position to junior role with increasing responsibility
    • Researched investment ideas creating valuation models of publicIy traded companies focusing on financials, real estate, and c0nsumer discretionary sectors
    • Identified investments for portfolio allocation which contributed to the benchmark outperformance
  • Attained local pr0fessional securities Iicenses to represent firm and execute trades

Education—

Bachelors Economics “top 25” school US

“international” MBA well recognized in region

CFA Charterholder

why do you have 0 instead of o?

I made some slight script changes so it doesn’t come up on Google

How old are you?

is the style of my work experience summary ok?

I tried to keep them vague enough to be applicable to multiple roles… in truth my current role is more on the side of the dreaded “R” word and I don’t want to be profiled as a “risk guy”… I work in a project finance team but other people are more involved in the actual relationship aspects and deal structuring… my job is more of credit monitoring

How old foool?

honestly i would get rid of the bullet point that says that you got promoted seems like wasted space to me.

There isnt much meat on your resume talk about projects you worked on or particular processes you used implemented etc. Talk about value you added & can add to a new employer not, it seems like you have good experience (better than mine) but my resume blows this out of the water as there really isnt anything on this that sounds impressive.

^^ Thank you… yes I’ve recognized your same point about the resume lacking “meat”… I agree

I’m thinking of adding a 1-2 bullets about my contribution in closing # of project finance deals highligting specific numbers representing x amount of investment.

>>>Is it normal/ok to list specific companies I cover or deals I’ve worked on?

no, never list specific deals etc but you can mention “closed several deals valued at $xxxxxxxxxxx providing underwriting, pricing, relationship management” etc etc. If you covered a specific sector its fine to list that

you can open yourself up to legal ramifications if you disclose sensitive information on deals (especially if the deal is not closed). I’m not intimately familiar with rules, but i know some IB/PE shops have code names for their deals (Project Marvel, Project Bravo). You can reference a code name in your CV as long as you keep the facts about the deal tight so they can’t reasonably infer what the deal is.

primavera - who comes up with these names

i keep updating the resume everyday… already applied to about 100 jobs in past month and nothing not even a single call back… actually strange because a few months ago i was getting a good deal of phone interviews but ive always been stretching for positions… applying for top tier firms so the competition is brutal. apparently MS/GS dont want me :frowning:

my new strategy is to just remove all the “latin america” references and the fact that i worked there for 2 years. so my resume now is just focuse on last 2 postions and i no longer have a “unranked MBA”. i had someone tell me flat out that i had “too much experience” for arole before so im caught between young enough for good junior type but not old enough for senior positions… (at least hats how my resume reads)…

added these points as some “meat” if im getting it right… previously though it was rather in meaningless to throw around numbers like this but i guess its something to show as an accomplishmen

job 1

“Participated in the closing 0f over twenty deal transactions representing nearly $1 bn of investments and credit commitments assisting at all stages of the portfoli0 management process.”

job 2

“Initiated new coverage product directly Ieading to $200k revenue growth in one year.”

i meant more along the lines of “i cover Apple”…is that necessary over “i cover tech companies”

Im not sure to be honest^… im sure someone in ER can weigh in.

I think its preferred to put tech companies. its makes your knowledge seem more expansive and it helps the fluidity of the conversation… the inevitable follow-up question in an interview will be “well which companies do you follow?” and then you can elaborate further. You better control the flow of the convo.

problem I seeing is that my career is in a really poor stage…

At 30 some people are already hot-shot directors /portfolio managers at some firm’s in some cases so if your just a “analyst” it looks like your an underachiever. At this age your also not considered for “junior roles” that are possibly great career opportunities because you already have too much “baggage” and firm like to train junior employees in “their methods” of doing things… the perception is also that someone that is 30+ is not going to be as hungry as some out of college prodigy.

basically its lose-lose

You’re screwed kid

i think this kid’s resume sounds amazing! but then again, im in some back-office gig. not yet a CFA charterholder, and also didn’t graduate from a top tier school either. But hey, we got something in common, we’re both 30 LOL

Resume looks nice to me. The first thing I thought of was credit risk type of roles though. Are you looking for IB roles or what? You may want to think of embracing the risk side and looking at things like commercial/corporate banker positions. I know a lot of investment bankers are turned off by those roles, but as a MM commercial banker you should be drawing $150k ish base + bonus and have a decent work/life balance. Just a thought.