Need Direction

I’ve slowed down on posting since this is kind of “off time” for CFA candidates that have cleared Level I and aren’t taking the exam in December, but just wanted to get a little feedback on my job situation.

Fixed Income senior analyst for 2.5 years now (RMBS Space), Econ BA with nearly perfect GPA from top 100 college, Cleared LI Dec 2016.

All is fine except the fact that I feel “behind” in terms of age and where I am in my career. Going to be 31 in February and contemplating ditching the CFA program for now if I can’t pass LII next June to maybe apply for B School, OR start my own business. Any thoughts on whether I am truly getting old for employers to look at me and think “OK you have 3-4 years professional experience and have cleared LI, BUT you are 30?”

I just do not want to waste my time if Asset Managers/Pension Funds/etc are going to think this and may be better off starting a business (currently have about 100k that I could use to do that).

Any input would be great!

***Just realized I wrote “Econ BA”. Probably should have put it the other way around haha

What did you do after school that you only have 2.5 years of WE at 31? I would address that first if you decide to apply to Business school. You always have the choice to not disclose your age with an employer, most won’t ask anyway.

This may sound completely random but I was in a band that had interest from several top tier Independent record labels and wrote/recording music/toured for several years. We started the band in high school, I was 17 at the time and it went until I was 22.

Also I have right at 4 years TOTAL work experience, 2.5 years is just in my current role.

Yea just do the MBA, you are not too old, right around the max. Path of least resistance pretty much if money is not an issue.

You’re not yet too old for MBA, but you will be in a couple of years, at least where the common mass hiring jobs are concerned.

Yeah I need to make moves soon within next year or so if I am gonna go to B school.

I am decently capitalized, however, might take out loans for it. Especially if low rates can be locked in. For elite schools, I agree, but 11-25 top programs have people into their late 30’s getting accepted.

Yeah I mean, based on your background, since you are already in an investment role, only top M7 or top 10 will have significant value add to your career.

When you say investment role, Are you referring to the benefit of someone moving from the back office to the front given they attend a top 25 program, whereas that benefit is gone but top 7-10 adds value provided I am in a front office role currently?

your career is a marathon not a 100m sprint. Keep chugging along - steadily and consistently - and when you take a breather and look back, you’ll realize that you have left many people behind you.

Do whatever you want. Never get comfortable with your career - always gotta be learning, improving and working on something. New doors will always open up.

yes, if you are already front office, no point doing a hacksaw MBA, go for only M7/top 10 in your desired industry.

As simple as it is, I like this advice. Thanks!

If this is all because you feel “behind” then that’s a crappy way to look at things. If you like your job, you like your pay, then stop looking at others. There’s always gonna be some 28 year old HF manager that is smoking you in terms of career progression. If it’s because you are bored and there is no upward mobility in your job, then that’s different.

I am in late 30’s now and have friends that are PMs, Directors, Vice Presidents, etc. and I’m a simple equity analyst. But I can make good bonuses and the work life balance is perfect for my family.

Also, I wouldn’t do MBA. I failed LII at 31 and was pissed. So I doubled down and passed LII and LIII in consecutive years. Got this job soon after and never looked back.