Career advice

Hello Friends,

I am writing to seek your opinion on some career advice. I am 37 years old, Canadian CA based out in Toronto and writing L3 next year. I have over 15 years of professional experience primarily in financial planning & analysis as well as financial reporting while working in the service-providing and manufacturing industries.

I am wondering that based on my professional experience, would I ever be able to enter investment finance or any related job where I can utilize my CFA designation or it is too late looking at my age. If the answer is yes, what kind of jobs should I try? The reason I ask is that most of CFA jobs need some sort of financial service industry experience even if they want enrollment/passing CFA L1/2/3.

Much appreciate your help folks!

Warm Regards

Sure, you have a chance. 37 is better than 57. Just follow your passion.

Never too late, but at 37, not sure if you want to pull the hours.

Based on your credential, most suitable jobs for you may be:

1. Advisory at a Big 4 - ie. deals & transaction group (given you probably articled at a Big 4, they would be inclined to take you).

2. ER at a sector that you are familiar with (ie. manufacturing / service providing)

I see your point here–37 isn’t exactly young, but it’s not too old, either. We’re quite in the same range and what helped me explore possibilities was with the help of a career coach. Took me lots of time before deciding to do that and I think I’ve just gained confidence to try out some opportunities I couldn’t ever fathom to explore 2-3 years ago. So I say, go for it! Btw, in case you’re curious, got my coach from here: https://www.livecoach.io/career_coaching