Pay cut to move to the buy-side long only AM?

Would you take a 20%-25% base paycut (I am going from ASO-1 level) to move to a really good role, with a nice team and good learning opportunities at a $50bn-$60bn long-only AM? Honestly, I dont want to go backwards in my career and thats what is concerning me. If this is just a short-term sacrifice for long term gain, then I am really ok with it.

On the one hand, I really like the opportunity, the team, the manager as well as the firm. Since this is a long only, I also see that future opportunities might not be that easy to come by (given the turnover) so i don’t want to whine about the money.

On the other hand, pay cuts are awful. Also, I feel like sell-side ER is in for a huge shock next year (especially my shop, despite being a BB). Obviously, hours aren’t great on the sell-side (on my team we work 70-80 hrs AT LEAST, with weekends as well).

I am leaning towards accepting it but wanted to get views about this from others on the forum about what I should consider when trying to negotiate? and if this is common with long only AM offers?

If your pay cut is like $100k to $80k and you are young, then odds are that is is a good move. If it’s like $300k to $225k, then it might take a while to regain that compensation level. I’m not sure what the role is, but I will assume, based on your comment that it is a good job and not a “grass is greener” case.

Of course this is a very personal decision (which only you have the best information to make the decision)… but to broadly answer your question, personally I would definitely take a pay cut for the right opportunity.

Too many people over-emphasize compensation at the expense of de-emphasizing other factors (interesting work, firm culture, hours, etc) – which I believe is a mistake not only in the long-term, but even in the short-term. Don’t discount softer factors like being engaged and happy at your job (or at least able to tolerate your job). You might be pleasantly surprised at how your career (and compensation) can grow over time when you’re in a spot that aligns well with your skills and personality.

I really like the role, but also want to negotiate. I wanted to negotiate once I get something in writing, but then another friend of mine told me that its better to do it before its in writing.

Can anyone here share their experiences?

Really appreciate all your help guys!

Yeah they have 60bn AUM they can definitely afford to bump the pay lol. Do it before it’s in writing of course.

I literally got it in writing just as I was calling the HR person.

Well for company that has 60bn AUM it should not be big problem to give you at least the same salary as you have right now…

Personally during the interview I always clearly express my salary expectation as well as current salary in order to avoid the situation like this

I told them my current salary at my first interview and they said thats in the range that they are looking at, so they knew my expectations

Ask them to at least match your current remuneration. Focus on base salary.

+1. Getting good experience on the buy side is worth a lot early in your career. There may be good internal opportunities with such a large asset manager. There’s a good chance you can get your money back with good performance in 12-24 months.

It does not look good when company cannot offer you at least current salary(I would assume that they are cutting costs everywhere)…

3 months ago I also rejected job offer because of the lower than expected salary level

^ What if you’re changing roles and are looking to get your foot in the door with a co. you want to work for?

My understanding was that it is normal to take a pay cut initially when switching from sell side to buy side, at least in the junior levels. I’m not sure how experienced you are, but junior buyside roles seem to pay a little less at first. Numi would know best though

Thats what i also heard. Anyway they refused to match current pay-oh well! I still think its worth it.