Is changing industries a wise career choice?

Primary Question:

I’m a corporate financial analyst within the healthcare industry with 2.5 years of experience and I have a MBA as well. I recently received a job offer at a medium sized company within the testing laboratories industry in the orange county area of southern California. The role I’m in is more FP&A and the new role is a pricing and analysis role.

Should I stay in the same industry or does it not matter? Just follow where ever the money is.

Secondary Question:

I’m thinking about negotiating my salary and was wondering if its worthwhile to do so. I’m currently make $52K. I asked for $65K and I was offered $68K. The online salary sites say the median salary for my experience and location is around $68K and personalized salary reports say I’m worth around $75K. Is it worth trying to squeeze a few more thousands or even trying to get the $75K.

I’m kind of ok with the offer. But if I’m worth $75K, am I selling myself short. Also, I know its difficult to get decent raises once you start working. I’m wondering if I should negotiate salary or take the offer? Thank you.

You should have done the research beforehand imo. It’s greedy for you to ask for money, get an offer for more, and then ask for a new number… I’d never try this in a flat organization, but if this is a large company where all the negotiating is separate from my future bosses then maybe I would do it.

They already know you will work for $65k… it seems difficult to think that they would entertain your request for $75k. In fact, they might become angry, since they probably think they were being nice for offering about your asking price to begin with. This would be different if something has changed, such as if you received a substantial raise at your current job or you received another job offer.

I don’t know about the sector or roles. However, rather than generalize, I’d say that the organizational structure, growth and resulting upward mobility opportunities are more important then the broad industry type. You want to go somewhere where workload is increasing, and you will eventually be able to make a case to become a manager or otherwise take on more responsibilities.

You should remember one thing, no job is small or big, it depends on how you look at it. How people around you look at it. As you have a very good idea of the job you are doing right now, use that knowledge and idea of how to make your new job suitable for you, even though it is different from the job you are currently doing. As you, the company offering you the job your wanting to go to is a very big company, then don’t think twice, go for it!..you already know the tricks of the trade now implement them in your new job and see where it takes you.

Believe in yourself and don’t doubt.

What you think you are worth is irrelevant…what the employer thinks you’re worth is more important. You asked for 65 but they gave you 68. They think you can do the work and someone doing that work at their firm is worth 68k. It does not matter and they don’t care whether someone with that title in that sized firm makes 75k or 100k…they don’t care. they have their own budget and decided this position is worth 75k. Done deal.

If you truly believe you are “worth” 75k then why don’t you decline this offer and prove me and that company wrong.