I am graduating in May and still haven't found a job.

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student majoring in operations research with interest in quantitative risk. I have solid relevant internship experience (quantitative risk) but I haven’t gotten replies from companies yet. I am not sure why (I am wondering if it’s because my name is a foreign name despite that I am a Permanent Resident, and they assume that they will have to sponsor me?).

Now the graduation day is approaching, my worry is getting bigger and bigger. What if I become unemployed and have to work in a factory or walmart after I graduate? Does anyone have advice please???

Apply to p0rn companies for jobs. They do like foreign looking/ sounding talent. I’m sure you’ll bring prosperity and fame to your family.

Nothing wrong with working in a factory or Walmart

You can still apply for jobs. Not everyone has a job offer before graduating.

Actually, having a foreign name is a disadvantage. Even if people know you’re a PR, you’ll be held to a generally higher standard than normal US people. Some people try to make their name sound more Western, as you probably know.

try to change your name to something more american. i suggest shaquille or andre.

when i see resumes with those names i always read them first

Put on your resume, Jose Lebron Cocheta Nguyen.

Nah, He should only change his name to those if it’s a giant company like Google. If it’s anything smaller he can’t go wrong with Adolph. Most Americans like Adolph as a first name, especially combined with a foreign surname. I only started getting offers after I changed mine.

You guys are terrible jajaja :smiley:

You can have my job - move to Denver.

ask your professors or school career center for help or new connections. keep applying while finishing up your school. if money is not an issue delay one more quarter and intern for a few more months.

Money is definitely the biggest issue and I cannot delay a semester. I also need to support my family financially.