Promotion with weak comp

Looking for some general advice from this crowd.

I had an excellent 2017, high ratings across the board which came with a promotion to the “exec” level. I came into my current role 2-years ago with 7-years experience at a level that did not fit my prior experience but I was okay with it because 1) the job was compelling 2) the pay increase from my prior job was also compelling

Off of my promotion, I received a comp increase that was about 50-60% lower than what I expecting. All-in comp increase was actually lower than the increase I had in the prior year.

I’m confused and concerned about how to handle this situation. I need to raise it my manager as I feel the momentum I had over the past year is now gone and I’m starting to feel some resentment towards my immediate group - I worked incredibly hard in 2017 and took on several high exposure stretch assignments that I was successful at but my comp is not reflecting that.

Additionally, now I’ll be battling incumbents at level for performance ratings and was I expecting to be at the bottom of the pecking order for some time - I was okay with this given the raise I expected but now not certain i’m comfortable with it. Are they giving me a hint that they do not value what I’m brining to the firm? Just confused at the messaging (“excellent 2017”) vs actual comp (poor).

Sometimes the firm might be struggling so they lower comp increases despite excellent performance, especially smaller ones. I’ve had an few friends who experienced this, your resentment is to be expected, maybe figure out why first, maybe it’s not just you? But if you come up with the conclusion that the firm does not value you it may be time to look elsewhere.

Your points sound valid to me. You should raise your concerns in a tactful way with your manager. Gotta advocate for yourself, quiet resentment will not get you the raise.

It’s true that performance was not great but it was actually better than the prior year.

I heard from others that comp was okay, bonus actually down yoy but a promotion to my level should come with more I would think.

Buffalo, any thoughts on how to be tactiful about this?

The preferred method is one on one during a time that is set aside specifically for the purpose of your conversation. Ideally during a performance review. If you do not have a specific set aside time on the calendar for this then you should suggest to your manager that you want to discuss your performance when time and convenience permits. Before the request make sure you have written down everything you want to go over and you have a logical progression that you can walk the manager down. You want him to be the one to suggest that you deserve the raise. This sounds complicated but it is really easy. Phrase the whole conversation around what you can do to improve. Maybe so that you are on the “same level” as your peers or better? (Although you know you are doing better than them). Make sure you clearly defined all aspects of how you have been totally crushing it over the last year. Your manager should draw the conclusion that you are kicking ass. Compliment your manager, maybe talk about how you would like to make it to his level, ask his honest advice, then reciprocity principle should take over. If he praises you, doesn’t offer any negative feedback, but doesn’t talk about compensation adjustment then this is your opportunity to ask for it. Be straight forward at this point but don’t make it sound like a demand. Phrase it as though it is what is fair and deserved.

Seems like buffalo has it covered, but i also like using glass door to have market data to support my beliefs. Shoukd be able to get range information there

+1 this is a key component to the negotiation. I use glassdoor as well. There is also salary.com and payscale.com.