Move to Asset Management?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a bit of career advice on how to make a transition from a bank to an asset manager. So far the response I always get is to network, but maybe you might have any other suggestions? Having recently moved to a new country, networking options are somewhat limited at this time.

A bit about my background…

• completed CFA 3 years ago

• got to a mid-senior level as a corporate credit risk manager at one of the largest banks in London, worked there for c. 7 years

• recently moved to Zurich for my husband’s work and currently looking for a job…

• I speak several languages (Spanish, Italian, Russian and English) and starting to learn German

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Credit risk? I think based on your experience it would be hard to start over, your best bet is working for insurance agencies or fixed income shops. What grade of credit were you covering?

This is what I was thinking too.

International fixed income may be an option. Speaking several languages is a plus, though Mandarin not being one is an issue.

English und Deutsch y Espanol.

Is your interest in asset management instigating the move from credit risk to AM or do you simply believe there are more opportunities in AM in Zurich? Don’t worry, not an interviewer so there is no incorrect answer.

The reason I ask is AM could have a massively different culture than that to which you are accustomed. Old line Swiss AM (as opposed to HF) may be a good fit though. They tend to be pretty risk averse and may appreciate your background. JB, Lombard Odier, come to mind.

I have no cfa certificate but i read many business books and now i am a successful stock investor. i am in vietnam.

can I apply for a job in US ?

Well… you can definitely apply for jobs in the US.