Canadians in Toronto, what do you think?

I am a native African moving to Toronto some time in September. I am a Landed Immigrant and my family (wife and two kids) is already in Oakville-GTA…I hold a Master of Science degree in Economics from the University of London, I am CFA Charterholder, a US CPA and also have a wealth management certificate from the University of Manchester. I am currently a Portfolio Manager in an Offshore’s (a UK overseas territory) bank wealth management division. I however started my career in audit with a big 4 audit firm (3.25yrs) before joining the bank as an Investment Analyst (the role was more of portfolio analysis though). I then became a Senior Investment Analyst taking up some research role, investment compliance and bits of portfolio management. Currently, I am a Portfolio Manager managing a number of portfolios with <1m in holdings while still doing some investment compliance. Cumulative experience in investments is 6.5yrs…so total of 9-10yrs in Finance since my undergrad.

I thought I could get a jon in Canada before I join my family in September. I have applied for a few jobs, some, which I feel, have requirements that dovetail well with my experience and qualifications…I have not been asked for an interview in any of them…I have actually received no responses in all but one (a regret message). With time, I have found myself losing hope of getting a quality job in Toronto, at least not one that will pay me $100k like I initially thought.

Luckily for me, I have a personal portfolio worth US$ 620k from personal savings and investments…The last 4yrs I have earned a decent pay in the range of US$120-140k net p.a. even though the cost of living in this territory is over the roof. I am now thinking I should just continue trading on my portfolio instead of looking for a job in Canada. I am researching on other business opportunities as well…

I just didn’t know it’s that difficult to get a job in Toronto - in a city where thousands of Finance jobs are advertised every day. I however know I am disadvantaged given my origin…I mean, lets be honest, in a hierarchy of ‘who is who’, people who come from where I come from rank last…

Folks with experience in the Toronto market, what do you think?