Insurance PM to M&A Consulting

Hi, I’m currently working on buy side PM at an insurance company (bad paid, but basically 9 to 5 job, 40 hours per week). I was awarded my CFA charter last year and doing an MBA right now (top 20 university in Europe) finishing 2020.

Now I could have the opportunity to switch to a M&A boutique, better paid but probably much more work (regarding the time). Do you think it is worth it considering the job change or should I stay?

What’s buyside PM? And we need more details regarding your background. What are your career goals? Sounds like you are just unhappy with the money?

It’s portfolio management, especially fixed income (corps, financials, sovereigns). Managing around 7bn euro, around 3.5bn under my sole responsibility. As said bad paid and due to regulatory and accounting constraints just a couple of trades per year (basically buy and maintain approach), no performance fee, although performance is really good. Furthermore more and more admin tasks and less investment tasks.

I want to have a greater share of investment or at least analytic tasks.

Midterm goal is working for a hedge fund (that’s one main reason for doing the MBA). I thought that M&A experience could be a plus. But could although imagine to stay at M&A business, as I like the work and negotiations during transactions (did an internship for 4 months while doing a master’s degree in finance and accounting).