SS ER Associate Working Remotely

Hey guys,

It took me a while to break into ER but I finally got it two years after graduating. To get in, I did have to move quite far from home. I have been working here for nearly a year now and feel as though everything is going well and that the only thing that could stop my progress is wanting to move back home. I just wanted some advice on this.

My bank has an office in the city where I’m from, would it be reasonable to ask if I could spend time working from there occasionally? Has anyone here worked in a different office to the rest of their group?

Alternatively, I will just have to grit my teeth and finish out a typical ER stint and then try to move back home for a buyside job–it’s still nice to fantasize about being back home, though.

Just suck it up and work on-site.

Who do you think you are? 1y into the business and you are asking for special treatment? Seriously, don’t even ask this question, as they will question your commitment to the business.

you might be the first candidate to be canned when the time comes if you do an off site. Not because you’ve asked for a lot (you may or may not have) or is a poor performer but because it is easy to fire someone you haven’t seen in months.

This is a good point.

Thanks guys. About what I expected. I’m going to a roadshow in April in the city near my town and my boss volunteered, without me asking, that I could work from my hometown for the rest of the week. So, I’m lucky to have arrangemnts like that and I guess that’s what i’ll get for the next cpl years

In my experience it depended on the analyst. I actually worked remotely quite a bit within my first year . I joined from industry and added value almost immediately, so my time line was likely faster than most

My analyst didn’t care as long as I had internet. I’ve known several remote associates. It does impact your relations with sales and other things.